anyone else's oscar doesn't like omega one?

• cbronson
  • cbronson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

cbronson created the topic: anyone else's oscar doesn't like omega one?

my O is about 8 months old and i've been feeding it omega one super color cichlid pellets since he was a wee lad. it seems like he doesn't like it and only eats it when he is very hungry, and even then he'll eat just a few pellets. this has always been the case. looking for an alternative, i recently bought hikari cichlid bio gold and he'll eat this one. i'm thinking hikari 'tastes' better than omega one.

also he will devour any kind of live food (i.e.-crickets, mealworms, etc). once he gets a taste of live food, he just won't even look at an omega one pellet and it takes a long time to get him to eat pellets again. but for my O at least, hikari seems to have solved this problem.

as everyone says that the pellet should be the staple food, i want to feed my O omega one because it seems to have better ingredients but whatever the case is, my O just doesn't like it. i guess it must taste like broccoli or brussels sprouts.

anyone else have the same experience?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: anyone else's oscar doesn't like omega one?

I've not had the same experience with your particular type of food, but I've had Oscars in the past that simply will not eat a certain food under any circumstances. Oscars have definitely got the ability to taste food in my opinion. About 12 years ago I had a Claris catfish that I used to feed on cockles. One of the cockles must have got missed one day and when a bit manky head in the weed. I saw one of the Oscars grab hold of this mouldy cockle. However, as soon as it was in its mouth it literally spat it out and I swear to God it had a look of disgust on its face, it was incredible to see. So if an Oscar doesn't like the taste of something it simply will not eat it.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: anyone else's oscar doesn't like omega one?

Try the regular omega one floating. I think the omega color is a sinking pellet, therefore much more dense. The cichlid bio gold is only a floating pellet and therefore not as dense, which may explain why he prefers it over the omega color.

How often are you feeding your 8 month old oscar?

• cbronson
  • cbronson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

cbronson replied the topic: anyone else's oscar doesn't like omega one?

thanks for the replies. it's been about a week since i got the hikari bio-gold and my O really eats it up. i'll keep feeding him that for now. i feed my O once a day. i give him one pellet at a time until he stops eating. Occassionally i'll buy some live crickets or meal worms from the pet store and feed him live food in addition to the pellets.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds