making own food

• wiksta
  • wiksta's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

wiksta created the topic: making own food

I think im going to start making my own fish food. I have Oscars, silver dollars and common plecos. Is there a mix that will work well for the Oscars and silver dollars or do I need to make two separate ones? Can somebody link me to the instructions to make it please? I also feed them frozen but this would be the primary food source. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: making own food

fresh fish food is very cheap and plenty in my place, thus it never cross my mind making fish food...
but why take the hassle when formulated fish foods are readily available in any pet shop...

• wiksta
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

wiksta replied the topic: making own food

You make a valid point. What food specifically are you talking about? The stuff I have is little frozen squares of different stuff but once its unfrozen its very small so I find it's not the best for larger fish. The brine shrimp and krill are okay when they're smaller but then they get to a point when it's just too small for them. I have tried the skinny silver frozen fish in my Oscar ignored them.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: making own food

you can check the hikari gold for cichlid, or the dried frozen shrimps..
most of them are already formulated and fortified with vitamins needed by the fish in captivity...

in my case, since i live near a wet market whereby fresh shrimps, beefheart and silverside are readily available, i just freeze them and feed to the fish daily...

• wiksta
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

wiksta replied the topic: making own food

I use hikari gold. I havent seen frozen shrimp but ill look. Thats a good idea about going to the market and freezing stuff. Since i live by the ocean i think i will try that out and see what i can find.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds