Intestinal Issues

• bserafin23
  • bserafin23's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

bserafin23 created the topic: Intestinal Issues

:unsure: Hello all. I have two Oscars that have both been recovering from Hole in the Head from a previous owner. Their condition has significantly improved however one problem still exists and I am unsure whether it is also related to the HITH issue. As Oscars always are, these two fish are always ravenous. A few years back, to try and stunt the growth and also to try and treat what the previous owner misdiagnosed as a fungus, they starved these two JUVENILE oscars and only fed a few times a month if at all. :ohmy: . I know. So these two will readily accept all types of food but their base diet is Hikari pellets. Since we currently don't have a bottom feeder, the fecal matter of the oscars can easily be identified and examined. Whats curious about the feces is that it resembles the exact shape and coloration of the pellets when it comes out. Sometime it even has the "pink sausage" look that fits the description of a bowel obstruction I have heard many owners describe. To maybe help "loosen" things up in there I began offering the Oscars peas to help them pass and include some variety in their diet. Just like the pellets, the peas come out, exactly as they look when they go in. The peas are slightly less green in color but looking like they haven't been digested. I watch the oscars eat and they ARE eating the peas and not spitting or regurgitating. Its usually a day or two after eating that I see the mounds of pellet poo and pea poo. Has anyone ever experienced this? I may start treating with a medicated pellet i picked up (active ingredient metronidazole).

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Intestinal Issues

Hello and welcome to OFL. Good on you to try to give the fish a better life. Previous owner did no favors from under feeding, but that wont stunt the fish. Just make them grow slower. Having hith is a result of poor water and/or lack of space. I would keep on the path you are on, and try an Epsom salt treatment with their food. In 1/2 cup of distilled water, dissolve 3/4 tbsp of pure epsom salt. Saturate their normal food in this water, and feed this exclusively for 5 consecutive days. If a parasitic or bacterial issue, the salt will knock it out. I wouldnt be overly concerned with the look of excrement. It does generally look similar to what goes in. Not always though. I have a CA cichlid that excretes black waste, no matter what she eats. Eating regular and having bowel movements are a good sign. I assume with clearing up hith you have a grasp on the benefit and power of clean water. How about showing us the fish? Pics and vids are always welcome.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 1

sonuolover replied the topic: Intestinal Issues

I believe you are on the right way. oscars can digest raw meat or live meaty foods easily so try to feed them food like guppies, live earthworms ( I have noticed earthworms can improve digestion ), crickets etc.

There is a product available to improve digestion, called "Hikari cichlid bio gold plus" which has all the good bacteria needed for a good digestion....
The following user(s) said Thank You: ttertter

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Intestinal Issues

i concur with Suprd71...

pristine water coupled with varied foods is always the key for a healthy fish...

welcome to the community.

Extra vitamins are always a good thing. See if they will eat some fruit pieces. Orange, apple, banana, whatever you have. If no, a liquid vitamin supplement is available. Boyd's Vitachem or Seachem Nourish.I would avoid all live aquatic food, regardless of the source. The fish likely have sub-par immune systems, and any bit of parasite or pathogen transfer from feeder fish could cause major problems

• bserafin23
  • bserafin23's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

bserafin23 replied the topic: Intestinal Issues

Thanks all for the responses,very helpful. Sorry I have been MIA but you know life! Repainted outside of house and have been prepping for a new 180 gallon tank!! But anyway I was able to take some pictures of the oscars and have been trying the epson salt treatment for a few days. It has been awhile since these guys have had earthworms so might give that a try again.I have pictures but still need to learn how to post them on here! I know there are instructions on this site of how to so I will look around and post them as soon as I can

Ahh, poor fish. They have been subject to abuse, no doubt. I see erosion around the nostrils and sensory pits. Evidence of stunting being the blunt misshapen forehead. I keep a pair in a 180g, great Oscar house. Get that up and going asap. Meanwhile, keep throwing clean water at those two. Kudos for your efforts. The fish will likely not live as long as expected, prior neglect will take its toll, but their remaining time will certainly be worlds apart from before.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bserafin23

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds