new oscar owner... think somethings wrong

• andersons8734
  • andersons8734's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

andersons8734 created the topic: new oscar owner... think somethings wrong

so ive had my oscar a week now and at first i fed him tropical fish flakes but just got him bloodworms, pellets, and some small crickets. i may have fed him too much yesterday but today he is not acting like he has been. kind of sitting at the bottom. i have read that they can have trouble with some food and their bellies will swell and im thinking something like that is happening. so for now im thinking dont feed him for 24 hrs and see how he is. any advice??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: new oscar owner... think somethings wrong

Hello and welcome to the site. I see in another thread you are going to get the test kit recommended. Very good. Remove the Convict, it can and will kill the Oscar. Oscar will heal fine in a stress free and very clean environment. What size of tank do you have, and what brand and size of filter? Do some reading on the nitrogen cycle and how it functions in the aquarium, then your test results will make some sense to you.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• andersons8734
  • andersons8734's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

andersons8734 replied the topic: new oscar owner... think somethings wrong

i have a 29 gallon tank right now. we are planning to upgrade when he gets a little bigger. i am not sure about the filter because it is about 30 yrs old lol (was my mothers tank). it has two sides that filter i would post pic but have no idea how. and YES i am def getting rid of this convict. back to jail u go!!!!

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: new oscar owner... think somethings wrong

You need a bigger tank and more efficient filtration.. not when he gets bigger, its right now. Oscar is a fast growing, messy cichlid that is a big contributor to tank bioload. They need space, even when small. Plan on a 75g minimum tank with a quality, efficient canister filter, need in less than a month. Raising an Oscar in inadequate conditions leads to a shortened life.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds