How much to feed a baby oscar?

• StevenTheFish
  • StevenTheFish's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

StevenTheFish created the topic: How much to feed a baby oscar?

I recently got my first oscar, and I'm wondering how much I should be feeding him. I currently have him on tropical flakes and bloodworms, and am planning on moving him up to shrimp and pellet type foods as he gets a little bigger. He's about 3 inches right now and has a little bit of a wonky mouth, so it can't open quite as wide. Are a couple pinches 3 times daily sufficient, or should I be feeding him more, or less?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: How much to feed a baby oscar?

Hi there

Feed your Oscar as much as he can eat in about three minutes, do this three times a day until he is around 5 inches. Good idea to feed a variety of foods. However I would certainly recommend pellets as the main staple part of the diet. So maybe twice a day on pallets, and bloodworm of flakes the other. You can also govern how much you feed baby Oscars by looking at their abdomen. In the morning, if the abdomen isn't swollen at all, feed until it starts to swell slightly and then stop. But as they get older it's more difficult to judge how much you feed by looking at their stomachs.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: StevenTheFish

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: How much to feed a baby oscar?

hello and welcome to the site. Just a common sense pointer... what goes in needs to come out. Make sure the fish is "going" before feeding day after day. You dont want any constipation or blockage at such a small size. I would go very easy on bloodworm, twice a week at most. Try a piece, small of course , of fresh fruit. Orange, mango, pear, whatever you have. More vitamin he takes in, the better.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: StevenTheFish

• StevenTheFish
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

StevenTheFish replied the topic: How much to feed a baby oscar?

Thank you for the tip. I am wondering if there is a good alternative to the pellets? Say, would cichlid flakes suffice? Due to the deformation in his mouth, he couldn't quite get the pellets down. He will probably be able to handle them when he gets bigger, but I want to make sure he is getting the proper nutrition.

he should have quality pellets as his staple. Flake is inferior. Oscars throat is many times smaller than his mouth anyways, so small is better while he grows. Even if he can open just a bit, a2-3mm pellet should get in there.If your current pellets seem too big, crunch them into smaller bits. There are options in the freeze dried department. Krill, shrimp, tubifex worms. Can you post a good pic of the fish? Would like to see his deformity

• StevenTheFish
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

Žarić replied the topic: How much to feed a baby oscar?

Soory to say, but what happened to your oscar.... there is something wrong with his lips, and head....

I dont wont to be rude, but something is not wright,,,,,,

• StevenTheFish
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

As far as I know, he was born like that. He had been at the store I work at as long as I've been there, so at least a couple months in an overcrowded dirty tank. People didn't want him because of his mouth, so I figured he needed a good home. As far as I know he doesn't have any other issues. The only thing it seems to effect is the size of food he can eat.
Personally, I think he's a cutie pie.

Poor little fella has a problem for sure. Should have actually been culled from his fry group, but hanging in there. Good of you to give him a chance. As long as he is able to eat, he should survive. Getting past feeding, is your tank and water good for him? Is the tank fully cycled? Obviously a weaker fish, he will need exceptionally clean conditions to develop. Do you measure water parameters, in particular ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Tankmates? Any bits of info you can provide will enable us to help get this fish to his best possible condition

• StevenTheFish
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

The tank I have is alright for the moment, but I'm moving him up to a 55 gal next month. His heater is preset to 78 which he seems to enjoy. I have neutralizers for the ammonia and ph levels, and water conditioner for the chlorine, but I'm unsure about the nitrite and nitrate. He doesn't have any tank mates. I considered getting another oscar or cichlid, but I'm since I live in an apartment, I'm a bit limited on tank size.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds