Is it possible I am over feeding my Oscar?

• sarah21212
  • sarah21212's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

sarah21212 created the topic: Is it possible I am over feeding my Oscar?

My Oscar will be turning 2 in about a month now. He is just under 11 inches and has always been a big eater since I got him as a baby. The majority of his diet is hikari gold large pellets. I have read that once they get this big you should show your feeding to once a day, however I am worried my Oscar will still be hungry. Currently I am still feeding him twice a day except for the occasional weekend I’m away where he will go 48 hours between feedings. Each feeding he usually eats at least 15 of these large pellets. If he ever spits any out, that is the end of his feeding for that session but the majority of the time he eats them all. But even at that amount, he seems to always beg me for more food everytime I walk past his tank. (When he is hungry and sees me he swims up to me towards the top and quickly swims side to side like he is wiggling until I open the top to put the food in-it’s very cute). All my tank parameters are good and I have no issues as far as tank maintenance with how much he eats but can there be any long term problems to his health if I keep up the 2 feedings a day?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 600

Suprd71 replied the topic: Is it possible I am over feeding my Oscar?

At his age and size he really shouldnt be eating every day, let alone twice a day. He needs time to properly process and digest meals. I suggest at most once a day and ideally skip a couple days a week. Its good for them. You should also try to incorporate some variety in the diet. Some treats to balance his nutritional needs. Freeze dried krill, shrimp. Piece of fruit if he likes it. Some aquatic veg based foods, like you may feed a pleco. Kelp wafers, veg pellets etc. Dont be lured in by the Oscar "feed me" dance. They all do it, and they all will eat as much as you offer. Long term over feeding will shorten the fish's life. Hope this helps you with your question.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 2.826 seconds