Siamese tigerfish(Datnioides pulcher)

• Pravin
  • Pravin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Pravin created the topic: Siamese tigerfish(Datnioides pulcher)

Hi guys,
its been a week since my x4 10 inches oscars passed away thx to infection to their swim bladders n internal organs,i dont feed them feeder fishes since they can carry endoparasites with them.Well,they started showing symptomes for 2 days n the next day they died.Feeling lonely without them in my room now :unsure: so planning to grab x3 siamese tigers n a chinese algae eater in my 138 gallon tank.Had no idea whr to post this post :( ,do i hav to recycle my tank/take all the water out?need a little advice on keeping these fishes n bringing this tank back to life

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Siamese tigerfish(Datnioides pulcher)

So your fish never got much better from when you came here 6 months ago ?
( Here is a link to the post from 6 months ago to give a brief history of what has been going on in that tank. )

www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/44-emergency-please-help/278923-injured-n-not-moving

If you are not 100% certain what killed those fish I would start over just to make sure nothing would get transfered to any new fish that go into that tank. And it may not be a bad idea to give the tank a good cleaning.

And of course the tank has to be cycled before putting fish back in.

• Pravin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Pravin replied the topic: Siamese tigerfish(Datnioides pulcher)

They got better,the injured one was up in 2 weeks time n started munching on pellets like a cow then after some months n week ago,they suddenly appeared to stop eating n swimming without control,poo was either white or they were having diarhoea.each oscars passed away a day after day.now the tank is empty with juz the filtration going on :S i had an albino pleco in it n now that pleco is in my outside pond.took it out after the oscars passed away

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Siamese tigerfish(Datnioides pulcher)

If it was me I would be starting from scratch, there's no way I would add fish not knowing what killed the last lot :(

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pravin

• Pravin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Wat r the steps?i've alrdy removed all the bogwoods wat is left now is substrate n water

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Siamese tigerfish(Datnioides pulcher)

Swim bladder disease is caused by keeping fish in elevated nitrate levels for sustained periods of time(ie not enough water changes),also usually due to overfeeding which can lead to constipation, which will damage the swim bladder. 99.9 percent of fish ailments can be traced back to poor water quality, which leads to stress, which leads to disease.

I would not recommend STF's for you.......they are a brackish water species, which can be very difficult to maintain. They are very unforgiving of poor water quality. And since they also grow to be 2 feet in length, you need a much bigger aquarium.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pravin

• Pravin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

:ohmy: guess the owner killed his own pets,damn :pinch:,guess im gonna keep some parrots from my pond in this tank,but b4 i keep this parrots which i alrdy hav.do i hav to do a thorough cleaning for the tank? :dry:

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Do you have a dedicated biological filter for this tank? As in a wet/dry, or canister filled w/ bio-balls,etc. Whatever you did have biologically probably has died out as there are no fish in this tank. I need to know what types of filter exactly you have on this tank.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Pravin
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

i hav a external canister with bio ring ceramics at the last slot pumping 1500L/H n a 900 L/H overhead filter without any biological filtration

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

1500lh is a little over 396 GPH, which turns your 138GL tank over just under 3X per hour; this is a good flow for a dedicated biological filter(which is what the ceramic rings or whatever you have in that canister will do, if given a chance to cycle properly), but if this is the sole filter you have on that tank, you are underfiltered, especially mechanically, & you can never have too much biological. I would invest in a sump-style wet/dry trickle filter to supplement that canister as well as invest in a big HOB, like an AC110, to add additional mechanical.

I would do all this & then start the whole cycling process all over again. You can do a fish-in cycle(my personal way to do it) or a fishless cycle.

"without any biological filtration...."

The fact that you made this statement concerns me, that you didn't know "bio ring ceramics" are intended to culture beneficial bacteria that will eat the ammonia & nitrite that are produced as a result of the nitrogen cycle. Biological filtration is the keystone of this hobby; if you want to be successful @ this hobby, you have to have a working knowledge of how the nitrogen cycle works; I would strongly recommend you get a book that deals w/ how to maintain large fish, what the 3 different types of filtration are, the nitrogen cycle & how it works, & the importance of partial water changes.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds