future 125 gallon discus tank...

• pinkyNthebrain2
  • pinkyNthebrain2 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

pinkyNthebrain2 created the topic: future 125 gallon discus tank...

So I currently have 4 juvenile pigeon blood discus is a 100 gallon with my silvertips bgk and a herd of Cory cats and java loachs. I am looking into getting a 125 gallon in a couple months and want to set it up specificly for the discus. I currently have the 100 gallon decorated with fake drift wood and a few fake plants and sandbox sand that is very fine. What would be the best filtration and substrate?? Decor ideas?? The tank I am looking at is longer than my 100 gallon, roughly 7-8 feet long. How many discus could I keep in it? I would like to get several more. Can I get adults or should they all be about the same size since I currently have juveniles?? Thanks for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: future 125 gallon discus tank...

Discus kick a$$!!

In a 125, you can probably keep 10-15 or so without issue, I've seen them jammed together in smaller tanks. I keep 6 in a 75g, so I don't think 10 would be out of the question.

As for decorating, I'd suggest live plants. They do appreciate it, driftwood is fine as well. I'd stay away from the gaudy decorations, like the pirate boats and volcanoes and such. Keep it simple really. As for filtering it, I would highly recommend a sump or refugium, with a refugium being preferred since it will help control nitrates and keep the water pristine.

What is your current water change schedule, how much and how often are you feeding them, what pH and what temp are you keeping them at?

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

• pinkyNthebrain2
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

pinkyNthebrain2 replied the topic: Re: future 125 gallon discus tank...

Ok normally water change once a week with the exception of the miss due to my cichlid incedent.. ph is normally at 6.0 and temp 84-86 degrees F. What kind of substrate would be best? I like sand but I know there are benifits to gravel.. what kind of plants do you recommend? Species? I would like to keep a couple of my silver's with them and my bgk everyone seems to get along so week and I have about 10 corys I plan on keeping with them. How many could I comfortably keep with those fish? Any thoughts on juveniles with adults?? Do you get you discus online?? Or lfs? Mine came from petco and I know I know no beuno but I got really lucky and they don't carry them anymore because my 4 were the only ones out of 10 that lived.. and these filters u recommend do you have any links or sites that I could check them out? Pretty limited around here. Thanks again!!

• pinkyNthebrain2
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Plants are really up to you, I have amazon swords, Brazilian swords, cabomba, some kind of grass lol, bamboo, ancarus (dunno if that's the right name, I know it starts with an A though :P)

BigKen has a very nice planted tank and would probably know more of the species names off hand.

As for stocking, I think discus are best kept to themselves, reason being they spook very easily. I have 3 cory cats and a spotted syno cat and my 6 discus in the tank and that's it. As for keeping the BGK in there, you could, but that guy is gonna get huge, and may decide to eat your discus, yes they are carnivorous.

Your silver dollars, well I mean you could keep them, and as long as they're well fed they might leave your plants alone, but there's no guarantee of that since they're primarily vegetarians.

Personally, I'd put about 10 discus in there, and a couple cory cats and maybe a slow growing syno cat of some kind. I'd keep your SD's and BGK out of there so you don't upset the discus.

As for buying them online, I've not done that, but there are a ton of sites that sell them. Check simplydiscus.com I believe they maintain a list of quality online vendors.

As for sand vs gravel, it's really personal preference. I like sand, 2/3 of my tanks are sand, but my discus tank happens to be gravel. I want to put sand in there since it seems easier to get plants rooted into sand and to maintain it because the waste isn't collecting below plant roots and it's not like you can move them to do a good vac. With sand all the waste sits on the top of it and it's easy to clean, but with sand, all the waste sits on top of it and it looks really dirty a lot quicker than gravel. So I would do sand, if that's what you like.

Oh yea, juvies and adults, I've got a mix of sizes in my tank, since I got mine at different times from different shops, they range from 5" to 2.5" and they all seem to get along fine. But sometimes people forget, they are cichlids and do have the attitude despite their calm outward appearance, so bear in mind, some fish just won't get along.

Good luck, hope the info helped, well more opinion then hardcore facts :P, but anyway, I'm sure BigKen will chime in, and maybe staffie will too, I know they're bid discus keepers as well.

Cheers

P.S.

Cripes, I forgot about the sump / refugium.

This is basically what a refugium looks like without plants.

The flow in this one is from left to right.

Now wrap your mind around this, water comes in through that sock, which acts as a filter to get large particles and other debris. It then flows through the first set of baffles and into the planted part of the sump. Here you have miracle mud and some fast growing plants to eat the nitrates in your tank. This is also why there's lights over that part of the refugium, to help the plants grow, since this is probably under your tank in a cabinet. The baffle plates also look like they contain some bio media, which is part of your biological filtration. The final chamber is where the treated water is returned to the tank via a pump.

Sumps operate in pretty much the same manner, with the exception that they're not planted and don't eat the nitrates.

This one is a wet dry type sump.

Just google sump, refugium, or refugium sump and there's a ton more information about them, this is just kind of the tip of the iceberg.

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

The following user(s) said Thank You: pinkyNthebrain2

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

pinkyNthebrain2 wrote: m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DxxPLxclCxrk&v=xxPLxclCxrk&gl=US

The zombie guy in Miami? I don't get the relationship here :huh:

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: future 125 gallon discus tank...

now your talkin.

let's see those discus. :)

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• pinkyNthebrain2
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Ok sorry shouldn't have been zombie guy lol must have copied the wrong thing. Hard doin this stuff on my phone. Try this one. If it doesn't work my id on YouTube is Cadillacb22 I got lots of fish videos.

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=QCl3kcSujEk

Next I wasn't talking about silver dollars I meant silvertip sharks sorry I shouldn't have said just silver's lol the sharks like to hangout under the drift wood and move when anything comes close to them..

Thanks for the pump info I am going to do some research!! I would really like to stick with sand too hopefully I can figure out the live plant thing and not kill them :/ thanks again for all the help!! I will keep u posted!!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds