I love Discus fish but they didn't love me....LOL

• bebopper
  • bebopper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

bebopper created the topic: I love Discus fish but they didn't love me....LOL

Next to Oscars, I like Discus fish the most. I've tried having them a couple of times a long time ago, but never had much luck. I was doing something wrong, but they seem to require pristine conditions to live in an aquarium setting. I had also read this someplace. From what I remember, they need lots of space, eat live tubifex worms, and are very finicky about water conditions. I do love seeing them in very large aquariums when I have that opportunity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: I love Discus fish but they didn't love me....LOL

They are more sensitive to water conditions but not as bad as everyone thinks, if you dont care about growing dinner plate size discus 2 50% water changes per week is perfectly fine you just want to keep the nitrates below 40 ppm and not have uneaten food in the tank, I change the water in my discus tank 50% everyday but I want big beautiful discus. With the food they need a varied high protein diet, I feed mine super beef heart flake 2x a day, tetra color bits 1x day, and freeze dried black worms 1x day, they don't get any live I don't want to risk bringing parasites into the tank. They needs lots of space cause its recommended that you keep them I groups of 6, they are a schoaling fish that sets up a hierarchy amongst them selfs and they feel most comfortable I groups, you need to give each discus 10 gallons

• bebopper
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

bebopper replied the topic: Re: I love Discus fish but they didn't love me....LOL

Well that explains it. Dinner plate sized discus would be awesome. They are really beautiful. I never had more than 1 discus at a time. The two times I tried them they probably died from loneliness. They started by turning dark and then it was just a matter of time. I probably won't ever try them again, but if I had 6 discus I would want at least a 100 gal tank. Thanks for the info on them. Enjoy!

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: I love Discus fish but they didn't love me....LOL

They don't really get lonely just stressed out and stressed out fish turn into sick fish and then its just a downward sprial, I hope to someday have a big discus tank but for now I'm happy with what I have

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: I love Discus fish but they didn't love me....LOL

crazy how much stress affects fish !!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: I love Discus fish but they didn't love me....LOL

i don't think fish really understand lonliness.

i think they are all about survival.

if you give them great quality water and food , they will be happy and healthy; no matter how many fish are in the tank.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• bebopper
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

bebopper replied the topic: Re: I love Discus fish but they didn't love me....LOL

I didn't mean that they literally died from loneliness. I guess I was being somewhat facetious realizing that I misunderstood the group-like nature of discus and that I got off to a bad start with them by not providing a suitable environment. At that time, I wouldn't have been able to buy several discus because of the cost, not to mention the size of the tank they would require. Like model trains, I'll have to settle for enjoying them from afar.

It took me 4 years of fish keeping before I felt ready to try them and I did a lot of reasearch, take a look over at simplydiscus.com if you would like to learn more about them and try again in the future B)

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re: I love Discus fish but they didn't love me....LOL

Im hoping to keep them soon, once I get sorted with my house.

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: I love Discus fish but they didn't love me....LOL

benmcfadden wrote: Im hoping to keep them soon, once I get sorted with my house.

me too. :unsure: :lol: :silly: :dry:

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds