Discus Keeping Kept Easy?

• Rocksor
  • Rocksor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 877

Rocksor created the topic: Discus Keeping Kept Easy?

I just found a really dedicated discus keeper. Shes had her discus for years and they have very vibrant colors. I asked her what her secret was, and she said "100% water changes everyday", which is about 125g. Living in apartment, I would expect her landlord to have told her to get rid of the tank, but she says she pays him extra for the water bill. Because of these daily water changes she doesn't run any complicated filters on her tank, just bubblers and a couple of sponge filters.

Now are her discus prices reasonable?

sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/fod/3079723942.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Miss Nicki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Miss Nicki replied the topic: Re: Discus Keeping Kept Easy?

I would LOVE to have that tank! And the FX5!!

Those discus are pretty but damn that is spendy!

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Discus Keeping Kept Easy?

Wow thoes are some hefty prices!!! Pretty fish tho for sure but not for that money will I own them or that regement I would have to keep up!! W

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: Discus Keeping Kept Easy?

Daily 100% wc's are a bit much unless your going to show or raising babies but she prolly had to since she is overstocked, the rule for discus is 10g per fish. Those prices are about right for 5" quality discus expecially the penang eruption, 3" go for $40-50 per fish and 5" for $80 and rarer strains sky's the limit reguardless of size

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Re: Discus Keeping Kept Easy?

I know this is a little off subject , but I really just have 2 little questions.. :dry: Are Discuss harder to keep than Oscars ? And how big do they get if you need 10 Gallons of water per discuss ?

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Discus Keeping Kept Easy?

Firestorm8215 wrote: I know this is a little off subject , but I really just have 2 little questions.. :dry: Are Discuss harder to keep than Oscars ? And how big do they get if you need 10 Gallons of water per discuss ?

They a considered not as Hardy as Oscars and thus die quicker in less than pristine wanted but they both would thrive in great water as I believe they come from the same waters.. and they can get very big like NY hand little smaller than a dinner plate big Ken had a picture of a big one from they Guy he was buying from he might dig up for you

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

The following user(s) said Thank You: Firestorm8215

There not as hardy as an O but they can be kept with twice a week 50% water changes they just wont reach there full potential in size and color.

Discus average 6-7" but they can reach 8-10" (measured mouth to base of tail), you need pristene water and lots of food (daily 50% wc, 4-6 feedings per day) for them to reach the 8" mark. For them to hit the 9-10" they need everything above and the right genetics, that would be like an 18" O

all these guys are 10"

heres the pic Eddie was refering too
The following user(s) said Thank You: Firestorm8215

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Really beautiful fish , but given the size that they get how many would you have to keep for them to be happy ? Or are they like Oscars and one alone will be ok ? If I remember correctly in most pictures and videos there is schools of at least 5 of them.

They need 5-6 to keep from getting stressed, the 10g per discus rule only applies to average discus the monsters need more space. A 55g is good for 5-6 but a 75g is better, I eventually want to move mine to a 90g

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Think I may revisit this if I come across a 120 + Gallon tank and can talk my husband into adding yet another tank. Lol. I barely got him talked into setting up this second 55 Gallon tank....Thanks for all the info.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds