Discus Keeping Kept Easy?

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Discus Keeping Kept Easy?

I find that it really helps ease his way into accepting more tanks (and hence, more tank maintenance) if you do your water changes and such in a sexy teddy.

Keeps your shirt dry as well ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Re: Discus Keeping Kept Easy?

Nina_W wrote: I find that it really helps ease his way into accepting more tanks (and hence, more tank maintenance) if you do your water changes and such in a sexy teddy.

Keeps your shirt dry as well ;)

I think the kids may find that a little disturbing.... :laugh: :laugh:

I am about maxed out room wise. With that second 55 Gallon tank and the 100+ Gallon tank once I find one , in addition to the other two 10 Gallon tanks we also have up I think I am just about out of room.....until the kids move out... :whistle:

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Discus Keeping Kept Easy?

those are some insane pictures Ken wow no wonder those fish could cost so much they are beautiful ...
in you expert opinion how much do you think a 10 inch rare discus could go for like the first two picture you have?? imma guess like 300 and thats only because you said sky is the limit I would only imagine like 100-150 before you said that

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: Discus Keeping Kept Easy?

The bottom pic of the fish being held is a 7.5" Forrest giant blue (same as I have) NOT show quality and it sold for $450, same size but rarer strain $6-$800

10" show quality like the first two pics $1000+ easily, what you have to remember is the amount of time, food, and water changes went into those fish. They are prolly 2-3 years old and have been given daily 50-75% water changes and feed 6-8x a day high quality food, they most likly have $2-$3000 invested in those fish

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Discus Keeping Kept Easy?

cool tank for sale there.

and ken, those are some nice huge discus. i would love to grow one up that big some day. :)

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Big-Ken wrote: The bottom pic of the fish being held is a 7.5" Forrest giant blue (same as I have) NOT show quality and it sold for $450, same size but rarer strain $6-$800

10" show quality like the first two pics $1000+ easily, what you have to remember is the amount of time, food, and water changes went into those fish. They are prolly 2-3 years old and have been given daily 50-75% water changes and feed 6-8x a day high quality food, they most likly have $2-$3000 invested in those fish

Does it not put a lot of stress on any fish to have water changes this large every day or do they eventually just adjust to that ? I would assume you know since it sounds like you have been doing daily water changes for yours for quite some time now.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: Discus Keeping Kept Easy?

No they get use to it, mine still get freaked out but they are young. I've heard people say there discus start fighting with the hose over food being sucked lol

Some people do water changes to the point of the discus laying on there sides cause there is only a couple inches of water, remember that most discus keepers either us RO or aged talk water that has been heated and aerated to match the current water temp and pH

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Yeah that makes sense Ken .. that's nuts tho they really can get up their in Price ! I wonder what a wild caught one would look like

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

This all sounds very complicated... :dry:
I think it will be a very very long time , if ever , that I will attempt to keep Discus....you will just have to keep posting videos and pics of yours for me to admire.. :laugh:

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

I think I would do salt b4 I do discus lol

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds