discus update, video added pg2

• Big-Ken
  • Big-Ken's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken created the topic: discus update, video added pg2

Some quick phone pics I took the other night at feeding time, they are really growing. Getting ready to do a complete tear down and redo. Going to switch back to white sand and hope to order some nice Manzanita pieces in the next month or so then will move my shoal of emerald cories and a red koi angelfish in so I should have a big update here in a couple months.

Enjoy the new pics, that is my alpha in the middle he is close to 4.5" its funny to watch him try to claim all the food while everyone else takes turns rushing in to grab a bite then get chased away

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: discus update

Ken, they're beautiful. Your discus updates are one of the highlights for me here :)

So bright and colourful! You really can see the love you put into them.

Any hope of a quick phone pic of the entire tank?

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: discus update

Glad I logged on today they look amazing already and have def grown!! Keep up the great work but that goes with out saying ...

Question tho will they all get thoes stripes??

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Miss Nicki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Miss Nicki replied the topic: Re: discus update

They are stunning!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: discus update

Sweet, dude!! Makes me miss them a little!! Question, though: your not worried about the Angelfish bullying the Discus, especially @ feeding time? It might upset the "pecking order" in the tank, & throw the Discus off their feed. I never kept the 2 together,as Angels have been known to stress the Discus out when kept together. Just food for thought, BK.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 29

GeorgeP replied the topic: Re: discus update

WOW! Beautiful fish, I wish I could keep discus :( .

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Re: discus update

Those are simply beautiful Ken. thank you for sharing the pictures.

• Big-Ken
  • Big-Ken's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: discus update

Nina_W wrote: Ken, they're beautiful. Your discus updates are one of the highlights for me here :)

So bright and colourful! You really can see the love you put into them.

Any hope of a quick phone pic of the entire tank?

thanks Nina, here is a pic of the tank when my O occupied it the only thing thats changed is the long wood in the center and the little ones on each side have been removed. I really like this lay out just not for the discus so im pulling it all out and moving it to the 55g for my O im setting up this weekend

ehall67 wrote: Glad I logged on today they look amazing already and have def grown!! Keep up the great work but that goes with out saying ...

Question tho will they all get thoes stripes??

Thanks Eddie, the stripes are the stress bars or mood bars. Like an O discus can lighten and darken to show there stress level but they can also lighten and darken there stripes. My discus are considered turqs which mean they have 9 bars, mine all have the stripes just some display them more than others. That one particular fish always shows his bars especially during feedings, thats kinda why i went with this strain cause there is such a varience between fish they all dont look the same, thats due to it being a newer strain that hasnt been "perfected" yet

Miss Nicki wrote: They are stunning!

Thanks Nicki, im really enjoying keeping discus but its funny as beautiful as they are when ever people come over they are instantly drawn to my O they just love his big puppy dog attitude

fishguy66 wrote: Sweet, dude!! Makes me miss them a little!! Question, though: your not worried about the Angelfish bullying the Discus, especially @ feeding time? It might upset the "pecking order" in the tank, & throw the Discus off their feed. I never kept the 2 together,as Angels have been known to stress the Discus out when kept together. Just food for thought, BK.

I am worried after we talked a month back about it i decided against it the only reason im trying it now is cause my other angelfish decided he was into domestic violence and overnight beat the shit out of the one im moving and the discus tank is the only place i have for it. The one im moving is very timid and not super aggressive with its food, unlike the other so i hope it works out but the first sign i see of any issue im yanking it and putting it back in the planted tank and rehoming the aggressive one

Gpfifer wrote: WOW! Beautiful fish, I wish I could keep discus :( .

Thanks, they are alot of work and expensive it took me two years of thinking about it till i decided i was ready to try

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: discus update

thank you! I see why you'd want to keep it, the arrangement of things is very pleasing. Takes ages to find a way of placing things that is 'just so'.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Re: discus update

Dude them guys are looking awesome! :woohoo: Quit trying to tempt me into getting Discus sooner than I want to! :evil: :lol:

On another note, I was at an LFS here the other day and they actually had Discus which I thought no one carried around here. Although these guys were sorry looking specimens. Extremely drab in color (as in you couldn't even begin to figure out what kind they might be) and fins were all beat up. I'm not to worried if this is gonna be the competition of my future Discus operation. :evil: :lol:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds