discus update, video added pg2

• Big-Ken
  • Big-Ken's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: discus update

Thanks Jason, it seems most lfs discus are that way but they sure are proud of them and there prices show. Discus are easily stunted if not given the water changes and feedings and once stunted they stop growing and never attain that trademark discus shape, they just require too much care for most lfs to turn a profit on them so they just don't do it cause there is thought people that don't do research that will buy them

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Re: discus update

Yeah man these things were actually quite wretched looking and they had a $59.99 price tag on them! :ohmy: Someone would have to be crazy to buy one!

• Big-Ken

It happens all the time, there are new people everyday over on simply discus that post "what do you think of my new discus" threads and post pics of horribly raised discus and are completely unaware of what they bought and it never fails they paid way more than they would have if they had high quality ones shipped in from an importer. It amazes me how much people will spend without doing a single minute of research

Sad thing is thuse discus will never look right no matter how many water changes and feedings there ruined :(

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: discus update

Sorry, BK. I thought we had talked about that topic, but the old man isn't quite as sharp as he used to be!! ;) Shame I don't live near ya, I'd take that agro Angel off yer hands.

There are a LOT of stores that will buy Discus off of their commercial supplier,(Florida) rather than go to a quality breeder, like Jack Wattley or Peter Thode,etc. We used to buy some from time to time, & I ordered the fish, so I always got from a good source. But it is a f'in crime what some shops will charge for sub-par or inferior Discus.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Big-Ken

I hope the angel works with the discus but my hopes are not very high, the good thing about buying high quality stock to begin with is its not usually very hard to find someone that wants it

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: discus update

they are looking great ken.

can you post a pic/vid showing the full tank shot?

i too have been thinking of going to white sand. what type are you going to get and where? ... do you know if there is a way to get bigger granuals; more dense. ?

i dont want sand that easily floats into the intakes.

keep up the good work! :cheer:

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Big-Ken

I use white pool filter sand and it settles right down and doesn't cloud the water or get sucked up, I just bought a bag but its not the same as I usually get I guess the pool supply store decided to get a diffrent brand. Jack wanted to know what I use also so I'll post a pic of it this weekend if it ends up working as well

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: discus update

Big-Ken wrote: I use white pool filter sand and it settles right down and doesn't cloud the water or get sucked up

thats interesting.

i used pool filter sand when i did sand. i thought it did reasonably well. i had minimal filter issues, although sometimes the sand was kicked up by fish or after waterchange and it would get into my hob intake. it would make an annoying noise for a 30min to 2 hours to get worked out . that was kindof annoying. ... but my pool filter sand was more of a khacki color, not pure white.

i will check with my local pool supply places and see what they have.

thanks.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Big-Ken

Jack & Ryan here's a pic of the pool filter sand I use, also a video of the tank with the sand. I was planning on getting some Manzanita for the tank but I think I like the simple sand and 3 rocks what do you all think??

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: discus update

I for one LOVE the sand and three rocks you have going on. It's extremely restful, and looks very clean.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds