What NOT to buy

• Big-Ken
  • Big-Ken's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken created the topic: What NOT to buy

Discus are beautiful and can be expensive, so heres what to avoid when buying discus. A stunted discus will never reach its full potential and most likly will never grow any larger, they will regain there color but may always have the "football" shape and large eyes that stunted discus have.

What a discus should NOT look like

Larger than proportionate eyes are a sure sign of being stunted, keep in mind that discus <3" will have slightly disproportional eye size also some strains have larger eyes
*2 pics on the right its what you want*

Discus store there fat reserves in there foreheads so a discus with a pinched forehead is a tell tail sign of malnutrition and being stunted
PINCHED FOREHEAD & LARGE EYES

Stunted discus will develop a football shape, discus should be round
BAD SHAPE, BIG EYES, FADED COLORS

Sick, stressed, not taken care of discus will turn dark and stay that way
DARK, CLAMPED FINS

What a discus SHOULD look like
FULL THICK FOREHEAD

ROUND SHAPE, PROPER SIZE EYES, BRIGHT COLORS

*most of these pics are from LFS, the only LFS's that i would purchase discus from would be one that specializes in discus or gets them through quality breeders/importers and provides for them properly*

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 29

GeorgeP replied the topic: Re: What NOT to buy

I love the Discus and Planted tank info you always post Ken. One day all your thread's will help me set up a discus tank of my own.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: What NOT to buy

great info Ken.

really good stuff to know. especially for us "future Discus Owners" :lol:

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Big-Ken

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: What NOT to buy

your welcome, I was lucky enough to have someone local help me to get quality discus and i wanted to share it so if you all decide to make the plunge you will also end up with quality discus instead of spending a fortune on junk

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: What NOT to buy

Thats cool ken really good stuff I will def file the information away !!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: What NOT to buy

I did a pet shop round today (visiting my four favourites somewhat on the route home). One place actually had discus... if you want more 'what not to buy' pictures, I can probably take them for you there. The one looked like its skin was peeling off. These are relatively nice shops in general (fish are cared for and fed), but poor fishy.

• Big-Ken

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: What NOT to buy

I'm not saying that LFS don't care for or feed them just not the way that discus need if they are to grow up big and round, if the LFS is going to charge as much or more per fish than it would cost to get high quality directly from a breeder or importer then they damn well better be high quality. For a discus to truly reach there full potential they need atleast 50% wc per day and 6-8 feedings of high quality food per day that its why they are so expensive, importers try to pre-sale there inbound fish cause the longer you hold onto them the more of your overhead goes down the drain. Most LFS don't have the time or desire to do that kind of work but they still want to charge premium rates.

I choose too do 4 75% wc per week and feed 4-5x a day, my fish will still grow up looking great but they won't reach there full potential and I'm fine with that

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: What NOT to buy

Big-Ken wrote: I'm not saying that LFS don't care for them our feed them just not the way that discus need if they are to grow up big and round, if the LFS is going to charge as much our more per fish than it would cost to get high quality directly from a breeder or importer then they damn well be high quality. For a discus to truly get th there full potential they need atleast 50% wc per day and 6-8 feedings of high quality food per day that its why they are so expensive, importers try to pre-sale there inbound fish cause the longer you hold onto them the more of your overhead goes down the drain. Most LFS don't have the time our disire to do that kind of work but they still want to charge premium rates.

I choose too do 4 75% wc per week and feed 4-5x a day, my fish will still grow up looking great but theywon't reach there full potential and I'm fine with that but that's my choice to make not an LFS'S if they sell for top dollar,

I also am quite sure that they're cared for, just like all their other fish. As you point out, though, discus just need that much more. And your discus look fantastic!

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re: What NOT to buy

Nice post dude

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: What NOT to buy

BK,
I saw your fish.....how about you post a new vid here to show people what quality discus do look like?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds