sexing my angels

• BlueMoonJay
  • BlueMoonJay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14

BlueMoonJay created the topic: sexing my angels

I have been trying to figure this out for almost a year. Got these guys when they were about the size of a nickel from a local breeder. I was hoping to have a breeding pair one day, but I'm certain I do not, which is fine for right now. Can anyone help me out?

Best shot I could get of the 2 together.

Attachment IMAG0057.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: sexing my angels

Angelfish are very hard to sex unless you see them laying or have there tubes down, just from looking at them the only one I can give a guess to is the marble could be a male due to the small hump on his head but that's not a stead fast rule

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: sexing my angels

Male angels will get a nuchal hump, longer ventral, dorsal, & anal fins, & will usually get long filaments top & bottom on the caudal fin. They are also "beefier" than females of the same age.

You can also sex them by looking at them from a side profile; look at them from the bottom of the gill plate down through the anal fin: females will be more or less straight, while males will curve a wee bit. It's slight, but definitely noticeable. My opinion is 2 males, but a decent length video will be more helpful & help me to positively ID

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• BlueMoonJay
  • BlueMoonJay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14

BlueMoonJay replied the topic: Re: sexing my angels

Yeah, I kind of figured I had 2 males, but I was hoping I had a pair. Either way is fine by me. I enjoy watching them swim with the others. I don't know about the video, but I can/will try for a better pic side by side.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds