Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

• benmcfadden
  • benmcfadden's Avatar Topic Author
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden created the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

Haku, I knew your were good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

Aww they're cuties :P

I was just as amazed at the link at the bottom of the article to the 60 year old Pleco :ohmy:

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

• benmcfadden
  • benmcfadden's Avatar Topic Author
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

I know, awesome haha

Haku, I knew your were good.

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

great, now i know my panaque will outlive me... :p

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

so glofish now come in angelfish too.

I wonder what everyone else makes of these genetically modified fishies. I also wonder what it does for the fishies - do they live long, happy lives?

Too soon to say, yet, I guess.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

It looks really cool tho...

I dont know about GM animals... but I do know that there can be some good done with GM food but it takes time to figure out long term consequences you know...

I hope its ok because it looks great.. ( not my favorite angel but its cool)

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

I lump this crap in w/ Blood Parrots, FH's w/ the giant nuchal hump, day-glo danios, etc......horribly ugly genetic freaks that should be eradicated from this hobby.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

fishguy66 wrote: I lump this crap in w/ Blood Parrots, FH's w/ the giant nuchal hump, day-glo danios, etc......horribly ugly genetic freaks that should be eradicated from this hobby.

I agree with you 1000% but I have to admit that the breeder in me would love to cross that with any of my lines to see what would come out the other side

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

With glo-fish (danios and black skirt tetras with the same 'glo' spliced onto their dna using corals and jellyfish sources) only about half of the spawn comes out 'glo'. When you spawn a 'glo' danio with a regular golden danio, you get only regular danio babies (but I suspect half may be 'glo' carriers - like an EBJD).

So with a normal angel, I'd expect the trait to dissapear, and reappear again in a very few of their babies. But this is speculation. Who knows whether this is even the same process as the one used to make 'glofish'? Probably.

I agree with Eddie that a lot of good comes from GM as well, but when it comes to entertainment - like these fish, I just don't know. What would people make of a fluorescent puppy? Or fluorescent children (it would sure improve road safety at night!)

It seems contrary to why I keep fish. On the one hand, they're pets, just like a dog or a cat. Companionship and entertainment, love and closeness with a creature that's in many ways very different from yourself. But on the other hand, and this is a BIG part of it, the chance to observe bits of nature in your own home. These 'glo' modifications seems to be contrary to both ideals. These danios are not so much intended as pets or as a bit of nature at home than as a curiosity, sort of like the latest Iphone or Ipad (comes in similar colours too! - with apologies to apple lovers)

Have you guys seen the merchandise that comes with these 'glo' type fish? And the price tags?

This can't last, though. Surely the 'copyright' that prevents people from breeding them at home can't be enforced. (ha! Will they also provide little fishy cotnraceptives?)
Can you even copyright DNA? In my research this comes up a lot - will parents have to copyright their child's DNA just to make sure the kid owns themselves in the future? Who knows where this will end up.

• Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

Just a note, a company has already tried to copyright human DNA in the 90s, in fact that was their project by sequencing the entire human genome. Things didn't run as they were expecting.
Genetic modification is double blade sword a very dangerous yet very effective weapon, many nany medicines and drugs you currently use are made by genetically modified bacterias ! that's the case with insulin many diabetic patients use I am sure some readers of this forum are using it now on daily basis, to reduce costs scientists are trying to introduce insulin gene in Safflower plant (Carthamus tinctorius) I read sufflower produced insulin will be available on the market soon.
There's ongoing research on introducing insulin gene in human cells and thus curing some forms of diabetes, many many genetic disorders see their future hope in genetics.
However we don't know exactly the effects on the health on the long run, especially when it comes to developing some kinds of cancers also we have a major problem with the immune system will it accepts new molecules ? no problem with insulin since it is already there but for other it's a different story we know very little about

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds