Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

• Ohhz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Ohhz replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

I love this! Pink is my favorite colour.. :lol:

Thanks again Ben for sharing yet another awesome story :)

But it also makes me wonder how long these fish will live and if the life they live will be a happy one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• black,orangeoscar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

black,orangeoscar replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

fishguy66 wrote: I lump this crap in w/ Blood Parrots, FH's w/ the giant nuchal hump, day-glo danios, etc......horribly ugly genetic freaks that should be eradicated from this hobby.

Why Hate on hybrids ? Yes, Glo fish do sound kinda "mutant." But I kinda like flower horns and blood parrots.

TONS of dogs are crossbred... Should those dogs be erraticated?

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

black,orangeoscar wrote:

fishguy66 wrote: I lump this crap in w/ Blood Parrots, FH's w/ the giant nuchal hump, day-glo danios, etc......horribly ugly genetic freaks that should be eradicated from this hobby.

Why Hate on hybrids ? Yes, Glo fish do sound kinda "mutant." But I kinda like flower horns and blood parrots.

but dogs were domesticated for a reason.. fish are cross breed for colors .... with dogs we breed them with other dogs to make it better at hunting or for protection... fish will never be breed to help us...

yes ik we have designer puppies now that are small as a cell phone lol but that is long after the fact of what we used to breed them for.... Work

so idk you really can but you cant make that connection two diff worlds really... plus we are trying to keep as many blood lines clean as we can of fish since they are disappearing in the wild.. like nina said we do not bring a dog home for a slice of nature but we do with fish..

and Ohhz they live much longer than dyed fish its not comparable they could live long lives if you were wondering

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

in some cases, and this I say with caution, hybrids (or the brother of hybrids, line breeding) can be a form of art. The fish has fantastic colours, its ability to swim isn't hampered and something of genetics and taste comes together to create something quite unnatural, but beautiful.

Some examples includes siamese fighting fish (our modern varieties are a mix of various betta species), red oscars (line bred, so maybe not hybrids per se, still, would get eaten easily due to lack of camouflage), many, many peacocks (OBs for one, dragonbloods for another), fancy guppies (endler's livebearers/swordtails are mixed in to create variations) and many colours of discus. Certainly goldfish are a good example, as are koi (perhaps again more line bred than mixed). Domestic angelfish are also truly line bred like crazy. Cautiously, I include some flowerhorns - although it might be too soon here.

Sometimes, though, our quest for discovery and innovation goes a step in the wrong direction, I think. When people's amusement take precedence over the health of the fish - as is the case with some long fin varieties (can't swim/keep up with their peers), some albino fish (genetic diseases run rampant, poor eyesight, generally taken just one step too far to mass produce the colour strain), blood parrots (I've never actually seen one that can properly eat, and that must be terrible - but there are better ones out there apparently), short bodied fish (short lifespan, intestinal problems - lump these with blood parrots too) , some flowerhorns fed and caged in tiny tanks to encourage the growth of a hump on its forehead so large it can't swim, the list goes on here.

There's a darker problem with hybrids than intentional creation. Accidental (or even purposeful) mixing, then hiding it, has made stocking a malawi tank near impossible if you don't know exactly what to look for. Most people have never seen a pure-blood peacock of any kind, yet no one seems to care. Even greater a dilemma when these fish are extinct in the wild - endler's livebears, for example, or most of the fish of lake victoria.

Distributing hybrids just compounds the problem too, even if you do it 'responsibly' and tell people what these fish are. You cannot know their temperament, but chances are for nasty, and you cannot know their adult colours, but again, the odds favour poor colouration. And an indiscriminate taste in breeding partners themselves, which makes them difficult to house except in isolation.

of course, this is my opinion, and should be taken as such.

• STAFFIE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Pink floyd + fish = Bliss
  • Thank you received: 40

STAFFIE replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

I have a red spotted severum..
Im sure it is a hybrid of some kind as it reminds me of a parrot fish in some ways looks wise.

I own a couple of normal severums and a gold severum and there are some distinct differences between these and the red spotted severum.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

black,orangeoscar wrote:

We're not discussing dogs. With one exception, I've always had mutts anyway.

BP's & FH's(now, I'm only talking FH's w/ that giant nuchal hump)are just plain ugly. You want to keep ugly, mishappen, mutated freaks, that's your call. Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly is to the bone. I personally see no advantage to creating something that doesn't improve on the original design; it's almost like these breeders in the far East are mad scientists...... :blink:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

STAFFIE wrote: I have a red spotted severum..
Im sure it is a hybrid of some kind as it reminds me of a parrot fish in some ways looks wise.

I own a couple of normal severums and a gold severum and there are some distinct differences between these and the red spotted severum.

Looks like this?

If so, line bred from gold Sevs for spotting, color, finnage & body shape, just like Discus/Angels are. Not a hybrid.

gregthecrazyfishguy.wordpress.com/2011/01/18/genetics-of-the-gold-red-spot-severum/

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: STAFFIE

• black,orangeoscar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

black,orangeoscar replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

Alright I hear what you guys are saying, and I agree there's a certain level of hybrid thats okay and not okay.

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

IMO it all comes down to the market of what people are looking to get that's appealing to them. Sadly these fish that people buy that are hybrids and so forth are going to keep appealing to other because of thier looks. To them its a fad, and that alone will always keep driving the market to continue things such as this. This fish does look awesome, but i'm curious to know what the other "subjects" looked like before they were finally able to get these results.

• STAFFIE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Pink floyd + fish = Bliss
  • Thank you received: 40

STAFFIE replied the topic: Fluorescent angelfish at Taiwan show

fishguy66 wrote:

STAFFIE wrote: I have a red spotted severum..

Looks like this?

If so, line bred from gold Sevs for spotting, color, finnage & body shape, just like Discus/Angels are. Not a hybrid.

gregthecrazyfishguy.wordpress.com/2011/01/18/genetics-of-the-gold-red-spot-severum/

Yeh looks exactly like that ...cheers for the info buddy.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds