55 Angel Tank?

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: 55 Angel Tank?

cihlenfeld wrote: New to this forum/site and saw this post and wanted to share my experience with stock level on a 55.
I have a 55 myself and I have 11 full grown angels in the tank, with 3 spawning pairs and have had no issues whatsoever. They were all put in together as nickle sized babies and they have been in that tank for 3 years now. I also have 3 rainbow sharks and 11 cory cats with them. The rainbows are only in there to grow untill they are large enough for the oscar tank. I also had 2 banded leaponranis(sp?) and a clown loach with the angels for almost a year while growing them for the oscar tank(my oscars are huge).
I know you all will prolly flame me for having 11 angels in one tank, but I have had no issues with them, they all get along fine, even when breeding and have even had a few babies grow to rehoming size. It also is a heavily planted tank with a mix of fake plants and live...mostly live plants(java fern, sword, lillies).
As for tankmates, just stay away from fin nippers. Most peaceful community fish will work well. Yes mollies and guppies will work with them and they are great automatic food dispensers. I also have another 55 with 5 angels in it along with mix of tetras, mollies, and dwarf gouramis.

yeah you cannot do that it is not healthy for the fish ...

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Richardb1976
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • You Can't Fix Stupid
  • Thank you received: 58

Richardb1976 replied the topic: 55 Angel Tank?

That is a lot of fish in a 55gallon can we see some pics of the tank and the fish

• Thank you received: 0

cihlenfeld replied the topic: 55 Angel Tank?

They are all just about 3 yrs old and roughly 7" tall from fin to fin.
Ammonia, and nitrite are always 0 and nitrate stays at 5 or below and I keep the ph at 6.5 to 6.8, SG at 1.005. I use red sea test kits for standard water params, and milwaukee digital testers for PH and SG. I run a pair of aquaclear 70's, one with bio-zorb and other with nitra-zorb and do weekly 25% water changes with ro water mixed with salt, trace elements, and ph set before adding.
Yes it is a little overstocked, but I have had no problems with them as far as territory and it does take extra work to maintain the tank in optimal conditions so they are happy. I have many other tanks and in the past had moved some to those tanks, but they didnt seem as happy so ended up returning them to that tank.

How to post a pic? The add file doesnt seem to be doing anything.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: 55 Angel Tank?

Best to get a photobucket account and upload pics there. Then click on the pic and there will be 4 codes to the right of the photo. Copy the 'IMG Code' and paste it into your post here

Yeah I have a photobucket account...was too lazy to use it and was trying to use the forum's add file thing :p
Here is a pic of mine.

• Thank you received: 14

BlueMoonJay replied the topic: 55 Angel Tank?

I guess I don't see how you had spawning pairs in there, and no aggression? I have a pair and I had to remove almost everything from my 55 due to my angels killing everything. They took out 2 SD'S and 4 mollies their first spawn. IMO, I love angels and that kind of seems overstocked to me, even with the filtration.

Every tank/fish are different and guess I got lucky...these guys have been together since they were about the size of a dime. I had planned to move a few of the non mated pairs to other tanks, but since I have had no issues I am leaving it alone.

• Thank you received: 14

BlueMoonJay replied the topic: 55 Angel Tank?

I guess if you haven't had issues, you did get off pretty lucky. Mine are just flat out mean when they spawn, when they aren't spawning, they are nice as can be to my mollie and pleco.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds