So advice from peeps that have discus fish please

• acdcking12
  • acdcking12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

acdcking12 created the topic: So advice from peeps that have discus fish please

I have a spare 55 gallon tank. It is fully cycled. I am interested in trying out Discus fish. Now up to this point, I have kept tons of different Cichlids, Oscars, Red Terrors, etc.

And as long as the tank stays cycled, you do crap loads of water changes, and you feed them a good quality food, they are fairly easy to take care of.

I always have the bottom covered with Substrate, but I dont put much else in the tank, as in plants, driftwood, etc. So I am not much into making the tank itself look great. I focus solely on the fish health.
And obviously with the cichlids I mentioned, I dont need to focus on the water parameters too much.

I have heard with Discus fish, it is a much harder process to keep the water parameters correct, and I need to take a lot more time in regards to tank decorations.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to start this process?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: So advice from peeps that have discus fish please

BigKen is the best person to send a PM to for help. He had Discus fish and had quite a lot of experience with them.

Here is some of his work...

www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/18-photographs-a-videos/279502-discus-update?limitstart=0

• Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: So advice from peeps that have discus fish please

No experience but from readings, those fish have some requirements when it comes to water quality.
They need soft acidic water, if your tap water is hard alkaline, reconsider it, it is feasible but very costy
they have poor toerance to ammonia, if your tank isfully cycled AND you are ready for frequent water changes go for it otherwise forget about it

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: So advice from peeps that have discus fish please

I'm not sure what your definition is for "crapload". ;) There's an old maxim about Discus, & as a person who has bred them in the past can attest, it is VERY true:

"When you think you've done enough water changes for Discus, think again."

You can never change enough of the water in a Discus aquarium; I did 3X daily 75%WC w/ R/O water. This can be a very expensive proposition.

Discus demand pristine water. You must have extremely efficient & well established biological filtration. Efficient mechanical filtration is a prerequisite as well.

There are quite a few people who keep Discus in small aquaria, breeders in particular. Discus get to be big cichlids, & I always recommend keeping them in larger aquariums, no less than 75GL for a breeding pair, IMO. Discus are extremely prone to HITH; stress is a major factor of this(along w/ insufficient diet & less than acceptable water quality), & as they are big cichlids, keeping them in a small aquarium long term will stress them out. For a group of let's say 8 juvies(2-3" fish), no less than a 90GL, but bigger is always better.

Discus are expensive; if you want to get some, contact a quality breeder so you get what you pay for. NEVER buy Discus @ a fish store, unless you know for damn certain that shop is buying from a known breeder. There are tons of inferior Discus out there, & you don't want to get ripped off. Here's a link to Gwynbrook Farms(Peter Thode), a great breeder I used when I lived in MD.:

www.discushatchery.com/

I would also recommend buying a book on Discus keeping if you're serious. They are not easy to take care of, as they are labor intensive, but a full grown healthy school of Discus is a thing to behold.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: So advice from peeps that have discus fish please

If I remember correctly too Big Ken got out of it because it was so much work and he wasn't enjoying it anymore. The rewards are rich but I guess it takes a LOT of work, I'd really go doing a lot of research before I tried it.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: So advice from peeps that have discus fish please

Adult discus are not hard to keep now raising them that's a different story and we won't even attempt to talk about breeding.

If you want to drop the cash on adults I'd recommend nothing less than a 90g for a group of 6, they are a very social fish that needs to be kept in groups no less than 5. You could get away with every 3 day 75-90% water change with aged water.

If you want to raise up juvies I'd recommend nothing smaller than 3" from a trusted source (not your LFS) and be prepared to do twice daily 90% wc's with aged water in a bare bottom tank. Until they reach 6" they are very sensitive to water quality and can have serious health issues and stunting if top notch water isn't maintained

Breeding water change water change water change water change eggs!! WATERCHANGEWATERCHANGE WATERCHANGE.....................

Ya it wasn't fun for me anymore but man they were beautiful, if i ever get back into them it will be adult domestic wild type with a dedicated water change system

All i can recommend its DO YOUR RESEARCH understand what your buying and from who!! Simplydiscus.com is a great place with lots of very knowledge people that live the hobby, warning they can be a little critical at times.

• acdcking12
  • acdcking12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

acdcking12 replied the topic: So advice from peeps that have discus fish please

Yeah, just by reading what you guys have said and what I have read elsewhere, I dont think Discus is for me. They do look gorgeous though.

Oh well. Ill stick with my gorgeous Oscar and Goldfish. Laugh

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds