yay or nay

• blaze
  • blaze's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

blaze created the topic: yay or nay

putting angelfish in a 40 gallon with a small electric blue jack dempsey. how aggressive do angelfish get, because I'm sure the dempsey wouldn't mind them if they left him alone. he is pretty calm and likes to just chill in his cave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: yay or nay

blaze wrote: putting angelfish in a 40 gallon with a small electric blue jack dempsey. how aggressive do angelfish get, because I'm sure the dempsey wouldn't mind them if they left him alone. he is pretty calm and likes to just chill in his cave.

No. I know EBJD's aren't supposed to be as aggressive as their normally colored cousins, but Angelfish will get beat up rather badly by a EBJD if he so chose. And 40 GL tank is not a big tank, so I say nay.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: yay or nay

I also vote nay. Having raised mine past the critical 3in mark, he is now healthy and active. And also aggressive with a slightly bigger Green Severum. He is blind however, and somehow I think the Sev knows it. He just moves slightly out of the way, and Blue Jack loses track of it. Kinda comical. If yours turns out problem free, he would likely shred an Angel if he so decided. Tank size also restrictive for you I believe.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Re: yay or nay

I also say nay but not for fear of the angels but the EDJD, angels once full grown can be very territorial and aggressive. Anyone that says angels are peaceful and wont hurt each other have never kept them they are still a cichlid in good standing, I have more than once had to rescue an angel from a grow out tank with both its dorsal and anal fins completely missing and eyes clouded over from being attacked overnight

• smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 8

smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget replied the topic: yay or nay

I think is a bad ideal, not just because the tank size, but also angels need a tall tank. I do not know what your tank dem are but think is not a tall tank. and at 40g , one JD about it. if you had gone Africans that would be a dif story but with new world naa. they get to big and to territorial.

• blaze
  • blaze's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

blaze replied the topic: yay or nay

for people saying the ebjd would hurt the angels: he is small and if I got big angels I don't think he would go after them..until he got bigger of course, but that would take awhile.

for the people saying the angels would hurt the ebjd: aren't angels really slow, this little dempsey is quick as lightning. he has been temporarily living with an oscar 3 times his size for a couple weeks and the oscar doesn't bother him and when the O gets too close he zings away.

Those are just my thoughts. I'm sure you guys have a lot more fish keeping experience than me.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Re: yay or nay

Angels are not slow they just look slow and delicate, a paired off set of full grown angels could demolish a 2-3" EDJD easily. Ive had more super aggressive tank banger angels than ive had of any other species of cichlid the only difference is angels dont have the hardware to finish the job fast like there bigger cousins do.

It might work I doubt it but maybe just hope you dont end up with a breeding pair of angels

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds