Setting up new Discus tank. Need advice

• BlueMoonJay
  • BlueMoonJay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14

BlueMoonJay created the topic: Setting up new Discus tank. Need advice

So mom in law decided that she wants a discus tank in her loving room, so I agreed to set it up. It's a 35g hex tank with live plants that will be going in also. Filtration is the emp 400 like I have on everything. I have seachem plant substrate for the plants with a fluval co2 system. My question is what plants are good with soft water conditions needed for discus? And also, what would be a good bottom feeder with a tank of live plants?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Setting up new Discus tank. Need advice

the line of rule is roughly 30 gal per a discus ... how many are you planning to house?

for plants you can always go with java ferns, amazon swords, Ludwigia, Bacopa caroliniana

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Setting up new Discus tank. Need advice

A 35g hex is not much swimming space for discus.

• BlueMoonJay
  • BlueMoonJay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14

BlueMoonJay replied the topic: Setting up new Discus tank. Need advice

We're only putting 2 in there, until we recover the costs from the 75g malawi tank and this tank set up to get a bigger tank. We're going to have neon tetras in there as well.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Setting up new Discus tank. Need advice

I would strongly recommend that you wait until you can get @ least a 75GL tank & have a very efficient biological filter cycled, as in a wet/dry....Discus are cichlids in good standing, & get to be BIG cichlids @ that.....that tank is far too small for 1 Discus, let alone 2.....& Discus are extremely sensitive to any levels of dissolved metabolites in the water....there's an old saying among Dicus keepers..."when you think you are changing enough water, think again, & do another water change"......take this advice from a person who has bred Discus in the past...w/ that set-up, you are asking for heart-ache... I would strongly recommend you research the level of care that Discus absolutely require; while beautiful, they are not a fish that will suffer inadequate husbandry for long...& as expensive as they are, you may want to reconsider your game plan.

When you get proper housing & filtration, if you want, I can recommend a great breeder for Discus. Do not buy Discus from a LFS, they are 99% of the time very low quality & will not live long.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Setting up new Discus tank. Need advice

if you do decide to get a 35g hexagon tank, you could put some angelfish in there instead of discus, they're hardier, require less maintenance and don't grow to be so big. as for bottom feeders you could use some corydoras (6-8) i currently have 8 discus in a 130 gallon with an auto-waterchanger based on uarujoey's design. I was able to finetune it so that i get a weekly waterchange of 200 gallon. this does not include the water that comes out during gravelcleaning (twice a week).

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Setting up new Discus tank. Need advice

I hope she is willing to put in a lot of work into that tank , or I guess maybe you will do the required maintenance on that tank.
Because if she wants this just because the Discus are pretty , she will be in for a rude awakening.
I agree with Jack , and strongly recommend you read up on what it takes to keep them healthy , and/or shoot BigKen a PM and ask him about it.
He had them for a while , and I believe he did pretty much daily 90% water changes on them.....

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Re: Setting up new Discus tank. Need advice

If shes new to fish I suggest stay FAR away from discus for your and her sanity. Discus are very sensitive and delicate fish even after all these years of being aquarium breed they require high temps, extremely pristine water, and to be kept in groups of no less than 6. They are a very intelligent schooling cichlid that develops a hierarchy similar to chickens, I would reccommend no less than every two day 90% water changes unless you drop the cash on a group of adults (6"+) then you can get away with 2 90% water changes a week. Also you will need to stock up a medicine cabinet cause if you skip a couple water changes and look at them sidways they get sick. If you get adults you can do a planted tank but you need to make sure you get plants that can handle 84º water, if you get juvies (<4") your best is going bare bottom for ease of cleaning since you will be feeding 4-6 times a day and doing lots of water changes. Do your research if you buy unhealthy fish they will never look right these fish are very easy to stunt, I would never buy discus from an lfs find a quality breeder/importer that knows how to properly care for these fish (I know a few if your serious about buying).

Honestly if I was you I would steer them away from this idea, if they are novice they are not going to give these fish the proper care (hell I know what im doing and I got burnt out after 7 months) and when they get sick and die and they will if water changes are not kept up it will be your fault. I dont mean to be a downer but these are not beginner fish.

People dont understand these fish are not expensive because they are pretty they are expensive because the amount of work, food, meds, and water changes they need to be given to reach adult size forces breeders to put that price tag on them just to make a dime

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Re:Re: Setting up new Discus tank. Need advice

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Kenny !

Now the advice should be taken VERY seriously !
But I have to admit the comparison to chickens and them getting sick when looked at sideways had me laughing out loud.

Just what I needed today ! :)

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Setting up new Discus tank. Need advice

i am exciting for you and your (and your MIL) new Discus tank. :)

not sure on the plants... but as far as bottom feeders. I am an emerald cory fan.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds