Angelfish Died?

• JBare
  • JBare's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 56

JBare created the topic: Angelfish Died?

Hi guys,

Why would an angelfish die other than poor water conditions? My mom lost one, but he water conditions were perfect. I went over and helped her test the water just to make sure and it was still perfect. 0 ammonia 0 Nitrite and 5pmm nitrates. The other ones seem to be doing fine. I'm confused!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JBare
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

JBare replied the topic: Re:Angelfish Died?

Oh, and PH was 6.8

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Angelfish Died?

It could have been fatty liver disease. I know that's commonly attributed to those sudden deaths where the fish is fine one day, gone the next (like a heart attack I suppose). Do you know what she fed, or how often?

A quick glance over this might give you some ideas as to what could have happened. www.yamatogreen.com/dyingfish.htm

• JBare
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

I think a mix of new life spectrum and tetra flakes/granulas

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Angelfish Died?

Sometimes fish just croak, and you look at it and wonder WTF!? Ken and Jack have extensive knowledge and experience with Angels. They could surely recommend an optimum diet. Being grazers, I do know they need a lot of veg, as opposed to protein pellets.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• JBare
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

I read the link, none of that occurred to our knowledge. She's had this fish for about 6 months. She has a Aqueon heater set on a specific temp, and keeps up on water changes (that's why the water looked good). She said he was alive before she went to bed. Do you think since it was dead in the tank for an unknown period of time that a water change should be done?

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Angelfish Died?

Unfortunatly angle are a very delicate species and there is no telling why, ive had multiple very health breeding angels just up and croak overnight for no reason at all.

Funny enough with all the expensive foods out there tetramin tropical flakes is the #1 choose foods by breeders, when i was breeding i would mix 1lb tetramin flake, 1lb beef heart flake, and 1lb spriluna flake and that was my everyday food for my breeders and grow outs and i would feed live blackworms to conditions my pairs prior to breeding

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Angelfish Died?

Yes i would absolutely do a large water change

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Angelfish Died?

Hey all just sitting doing laundry here in Wilderness Lodge , so. I figured I'd check in........

I don'tknow how people type on these I-devices, really a PITA...... :pinch:

While Angels aren't as delicate as Discus, they aren't JD's either, but they shouldn't just up and croak (although as Dave states that def does happen)......Angels will establish al pecking order, & if it's a smallish tank, the dominant ones will beat up the weaker ones, & sometimes will kill other Angels in the tank, especially when in breeding mode.

I fed my Discus/ Angels small live mealworms, earthworms (chopped) , earthworm flake, Tetra bits, Tetra cichlid sticks, FD krill in Boyd 's VC

I also always kept Angels in Blackwater, & they thrived.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• JBare
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

I checked him out before flushing him and didn't see anything wrong with him, so I'm not thinking he was picked on, but I guess anything is possible. I'll have her do a large water change. Thanks guys!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds