New discus setup.

• jmunroe
  • jmunroe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 195

jmunroe created the topic: New discus setup.

So after thinking about it for awhile I finally decided to go for it. I rehomed my wild caught Bahia red tail Oscar, Chaos, and male HRP, and ordered some discus for my 125 gallon. I miss Chaos, he was with us for 2 and a half years and was quite a character. I received my order of 6 discus from Rick at Canadian Aqua Farms a week ago and so far all are doing great. 2 blue diamonds at 3 inches, 2 red maps at 3-3.5 inches and 2 ring leopards at 3.5-4 inches.
I wanted to do a setup that was more appealing to my family. So I'm going to grow these guys out in a next to bare tank with lots of food and water changes then work on a community setup. My 3 year old daughter liked the Oscar but her small fingers made it hard for her to be involved with him since he was large enough and aggressive enough to hurt her. She's already been hand feeding the discus and loves it. And my wife while not interested in the hobby appreciates my interest in it and has always liked discus.
Here's a vid of them a couple days after they arrived, pics of the arrival and a pic from a couple days ago. I'm working on a good vid to put up this week. Cheers.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:New discus setup.

I wanted discus but have always been afraid due to their sensitivity. I guess Oscars are just as sensitive to bad water but I learned this after the fact. They look great hopefully one day I will have some of my own

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• jmunroe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:New discus setup.

The younger the discus the more sensitive and delicate they are. Massive water changes, tank wipes and pre filter cleanings are required to keep bacterial counts low, even if your nitrates are really low, you must change more water. Once they get to near adult or adult size they have a better immune system and you can get by with consistent regular maintenance. I have dabbled with discus a couple times over the years but this is the first time I've actually taken the full plunge.

• askhammatt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hi, im Matt, and im an Oscar addict.
  • Thank you received: 143

askhammatt replied the topic: Re:New discus setup.

very nice!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jmunroe

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:New discus setup.

Thats cool Jason. Too bad about Chaos, what a spectacular Oscar. If we lived closer and I knew he was available, I woulda taken him in a blink.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• jmunroe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:New discus setup.

Yeah Dave I thought about offering him up on here and shipping him to someone like yourself just to make sure he had a good home. He ended up going to Matt at this store:

Matt has a great reputation around here in the hobby and will make sure he goes to a proper home. Matt thought he was great and reminded him of Oscars from the '80's.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:New discus setup.

Wow.. thats a nice shop. Nothing remotely close to that around here. Chaos will make out just fine.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds