I have two empty tanks help stocking

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: I have two empty tanks help stocking

I must wonder about you stating that the higher pH/hardness of your water is affecting them - at a higher pH, ammonia and nitrites are toxic at much lower concentrations. But fish are usually fine - like fishguy pointed out.

I must also wonder why there is all this funding to buy new tanks, but not funding to organise a test kit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: I have two empty tanks help stocking

Test kits not available in Lebanon so easily

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: I have two empty tanks help stocking

Nina_W wrote: I must wonder about you stating that the higher pH/hardness of your water is affecting them - at a higher pH, ammonia and nitrites are toxic at much lower concentrations. But fish are usually fine - like fishguy pointed out.

I must also wonder why there is all this funding to buy new tanks, but not funding to organise a test kit.

As long as you have a fully functioning dedicated biological filter,like a wet/dry, you will be fine.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• toni-a
  • toni-a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: Re: I have two empty tanks help stocking

Nina_W wrote: I must wonder about you stating that the higher pH/hardness of your water is affecting them - at a higher pH, ammonia and nitrites are toxic at much lower concentrations. But fish are usually fine - like fishguy pointed out.

As Rocksor said, we only have test strips here and they are low quality chinese made and are quite pricey.
Besides they are made for saltwater.
Lebanon is small country with a tiny market, not everything is imported.

• toni-a
  • toni-a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: Re: I have two empty tanks help stocking

fishguy66 wrote: Midas/RD will outgrow a 40GL. How about Neetroplus Neematopus?

Don't get big @ all, around the same size as Convicts & FM's around 5" or so, but are a good looking fish, very hardy, & quite possibly, pound-for-pound, THE most aggressive cichlid out there.

When they breed they turn black w/ a white stripe, & look a lot like the Tropheus complex from L. Tanganyika.

Also, my Philly tap H2O is 8.2, & my CA's & SA's (Festae) are doing just fine.

Checked today at the LFS he doesn't have it, I can order it but next shipping in two months,

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: I have two empty tanks help stocking

toni-a wrote:

fishguy66 wrote: Midas/RD will outgrow a 40GL. How about Neetroplus Neematopus?

Don't get big @ all, around the same size as Convicts & FM's around 5" or so, but are a good looking fish, very hardy, & quite possibly, pound-for-pound, THE most aggressive cichlid out there.

When they breed they turn black w/ a white stripe, & look a lot like the Tropheus complex from L. Tanganyika.

Also, my Philly tap H2O is 8.2, & my CA's & SA's (Festae) are doing just fine.

Checked today at the LFS he doesn't have it, I can order it but next shipping in two months,

Cool, just be aware, I'm not exagerrating when I say aggressive; a pair of these is the only thing you will be able to keep in that 40GL, especially if they form a pair bond & breed.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds