Recommendation for lighting

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL created the topic: Recommendation for lighting

Hey guys, as you know I am getting out of Oscars, in fact, I've got a buyer for my tank and a good home for my two fish. As I've said previously, I want to try something completely different. I am seriously looking at setting up a South American community tank, something around 50 gallons. I quite fancy planting it out with some nice South American plants. However, I wanted some advice on lighting. If you have a look at the link below, this is the website I am thinking about getting the aquarium from. They also have a lot of other accessories which I would probably get as well, probably a good idea to get everything from the same place and get them to make sure that it's all compatible. However, what you reckon about the lighting? It says "planted lighting." Would fish cope perfectly okay with this type of lighting? Like I said, I've never kept one of these aquariums before, especially planted aquarium so I want to try and get it right first time around.

www.aquariums.ltd.uk/Accessory%20List%20by%20Product.asp?ProdGrp=34

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Recommendation for lighting

You should make sure BigKen takes a look at this thread Penn. He should be of great help about the plants and lights. :)

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Recommendation for lighting

I am thinking about buying some Dwarf cichlids myself ... If I get my hands on 2 more 55 they will go in 1 of them for sure

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Recommendation for lighting

I was thinking that 50 gallons, plus one of the Eheim canister filters would allow me to have a nicely stocked community aquarium, plus plenty of plants. I think first and foremost would be a nice shoal of neon tetras, it's very difficult to beat a large group of these fish in my opinion. And then obviously maybe have a couple of very small cichlids that frequent the bottom of the tank, and then some surface fish, I was thinking of hatchet fish, these tend to stick at the surface.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

No Doubt pen I have a 20 gal now That I just bought some neon tetras for they look amazing!!

I have plants and tetras and corys in the tank (and a few snails lol) and I love it I can not wait to move around some plants and for them to really gro in it will look great!

but yes that would look great!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

What about substrate? I know that you can get substrate that is especially for planted aquariums. What I'm not sure is whether you have this and then put another substrate over the top, maybe gravel. Also, I know that a lot of people who have plants use CO2, but again, I'm not sure whether this is absolutely necessary. When I do this I want to put as much as I can into it so I'm certainly not going to skimp on anything, if it is worth doing then it's worth doing properly

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Ken is going to tell you depends on the plants you want to keep ..

if you want a truly planted tank you can get soil and gravel and sand and layer it he actually has a whole set up on this site on how he did his !

but for me I am just doing 2 inches of sand and growing in that with nitrate tabs by their roots to help them grow!

I am also not using C02 so I could probably get more and faster growth with one but I think I am going to use like sea chem excel or something like that ken suggested to me

I have a nice little assortment of plants that I think are pretty and are not super high maintenance but you could also go that rout if you want to ..

its all going to depend on the plants you want

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Recommendation for lighting

Can't do a big response right now but i will at lunch, from the way you are talking i assume you want a low tech easy to maintain moderately planted community tank with some dwarf cichlids. Something like that can easily be done without co2, do you want to try to stick to south American plants only?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Hey Ken, I would assume that high-tech would be high maintenance? I want a very nice looking planted aquarium, ideally with South American plants only, as I will only be keeping South American fish. Looking towards around 50 gallons and a canister filter. Don't worry about the cost, as long as we don't run into ridiculous amount of money, I'm quite happy fitting a CO2 canister system if it means maintaining healthy plants. Other looking at substrate, and Charterhouse Aquatics sell stuff that is made especially for plants, it is quite expensive, you're looking at £25 a bag, but if it does the job, then obviously it's worth getting. I don't want any big fish, just a nice collection of colourful small community/South American fish.

I don't know how easy it is to grow plants onward, I've read that it's fairly easy to start growing Java Moss & Fern onward. I have got some brain nice wood here, I'm not sure if it will be slightly too big for the tank I am going to get, I would have to measure it. However, there is a shop in the UK that sell some very nice ready to go wood with plants on it already.

www.aquaessentials.co.uk/anubias-microsorium-and-moss-on-wood-large-p-3851.html

In fact, this is a very nice looking website that could possibly provide me with what I need.

www.aquaessentials.co.uk/

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

wow very nice they sell wood like that with the plant already on it

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds