HELP!!!

• arinicole
  • arinicole's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

arinicole created the topic: HELP!!!

Hi all! So we've completed our 1,000 mile move with no casualties. Our tanks are set back up and everyone is doing well except an outbreak of Ich in our 55 gallon (2 fancy goldfish and 3 minnows). Big problem: our 3rd fancy goldfish (she's in her own 20 gallon) has been listless and gasping for air. We noticed on Saturday that she has what looks like yellowish/white "junk" in her right gill flap (as in, in her gills). I know "junk" isn't very descriptive, but it looks somewhat spongy. We've been treating with erythromycin for 5 days thinking it was bacterial in nature. It's not "fuzzy" like a fungus though, but there's been no improvement. Is it possible this is a symptom of flukes and we've been treating the wrong issue?? Please help, we don't want to lose her :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: HELP!!!

What is your water change schedule for them and what filtration and tank size do you have ? By any chance can you tell us what your readings for Ammonia , Nitrites , Nitrates and pH are ?
Anything else going on besides the spots ? Stringy white poo ?

I think I would go to WalMart and get a bottle of Quick Cure and give that a try. ( Really cheap , under $ 4 I believe )
It will turn your water blue , but it worked great for when my Black Moor got sick.

You may also wait to get more oppinions from other memebers if you so wish.

If at all possible try to answer my questions and try to post a pic or two.

After taknig the pic upload it to a service like photobucket and then post the IMG into your post.

I think that about covers it for right now.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: HELP!!!

Fire knows goldfish!

• arinicole
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

arinicole replied the topic: HELP!!!

She's in her own 20-gal with a fluval 30-gal capacity filter (standard charcoal filter). Weekly 25% water changes, one big water change once a month or so. She doesn't have spots, just the stuff hanging out of her gill (ots the other tank that has ich). She's not eating, haven't seen her poo in a while but no stringy poo before this. All the pics I take don't show the gill funk, do I don't know how helpful they would be. Used our last test Saturday, parameters were normal though.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Thanks to Rocksor for the vote of confidence , but he is one of the experts when it comes to water chemistry and treatment of fish.

I would give the Quick Cure a try. When I used it I saw improvement within 48 hours , and my GF was close to death.
Make sure to remove any carbon you may have in your filter.
Follow dosage instructions closely. I would also make sure to add an airstone if you dont already have one.

After treatment you can remove the medication by adding carbon to the filter or diluting it with water changes.

You may want to do a couple of water tests after treatment to see if your beneficial bacteria was effected.
Do you use a liquid test kit or strips ?

Make sure to keep us posted. Especially if even with treatment things get worse , or new symptoms appear.

I also want to mention that for the time being you should not use any equipment ( like vacuum gravel ) on the other tanks without making sure its properly cleaned and dried after use on the infected tank.

Again...I cant promise that will fix it , and you are welcome to wait for more oppinions on this. But I would give it a shot.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. :)

• arinicole
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I'll give it a try, thank you so much for your help!

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

If you dont see an improvement within 48 hours , there are sudden negative changes or you are just concerned about something let us know.
Someone should usually be here to answer fairly quick.
Good luck !

• arinicole
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

When I woke up Pork Chop was floating belly up, barely breathing or moving. She died shortly thereafter. Sad to lose our little girl, but one of her fry has survived and is getting big and fat.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Sorry to hear that. :( Whatever made my GF sick came on with a vengeance as well. I just got lucky.
I hope all the others will recover completely .

Such a cute name by the way ...

• arinicole
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

She was a trooper, made it through ich and tail rot last year, this thing was just really vicious. We named her that because her mate is named Bacon because he's ginormous. Glad her fry is healthy and thriving, it's so big! Thank you for all your help!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds