The new barb tank

• GlassWalker
  • GlassWalker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

GlassWalker created the topic: The new barb tank

As hinted at in another thread, this is my latest tank taking the physical space left now I move on the Oscars.

Fish includes:
8 arulius barbs (2 adult, 6 juvenile)
20-ish tiger barbs - assorted morphs
17-ish odessa barbs
8 glass catfish

Tank: Fluval Vicenza 260
Lights: 2x Aquabeam 600 Ultra Marine White (12W each), Interpet 4ft x3 LED bar (18W)
Filters: Aquamanta EFX 1200, APS 1000 EF+, Fluval U3
Heater: Hydor 300W inline

The internal is a temporary backup as I'm not sure if either external is still cycled from previous uses, will be removed at later date. The 1200 is probably still cycled as it was pulled from the Oscar tank less than a week ago and kept under water, with occasional cycling of fresh water, but without ammonia source. The 1000 probably isn't cycled as it has been left for a longer period from a previous tank.

Plants: java fern on bogwood, two crypts, loads of vallis, some frags of hygrophila, cabomba and elodea. The aponogeton crispus had seen better days, hope it picks up again in this tank. It was massive and kept flowering under EI+easycarbo. Of two plants I had, one died and this one is smaller than ever.

To do list:
Set up light timers
Finish topping up water
Cut down the mounting bar I made for the Aquabeams so it will fit inside the lid, then see if I can somehow put a lid back on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: The new barb tank

you might want to check your water perm's as with the seeded filter in fresh water????? without any ammonia - BB's will die off without any food source.

besides that...great looking thank ... love the assortment of species and aqua scapping. but yes do a water test and make sure you're completely cycled.

• GlassWalker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

GlassWalker replied the topic: The new barb tank

I know bacteria wont last forever without food but they do seem to last longer than people think. One time I forgot to turn a filter back on after a water change, didn't find out for days until bad things started happening. With the filter back on the ammonia and nitrite was cleared in hours.

Regardless of that, for sure I'll keep a closer eye on things for the next few days. I know the internal is definitely cycled, but by itself it is not up to the job of a tank this size.

Actually, I have an identical APS 1000 in the tank that the odessa barbs were kept in, so if needed I can simply swap them over. The tank is now only lightly loaded and has another filter so shouldn't impact its performance. I like to have at least two filters on my freshwater tanks.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: The new barb tank

I love it! Beautiful. Looks real :)

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: The new barb tank

nice tank

• GlassWalker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

GlassWalker replied the topic: The new barb tank

Thanks all. It isn't quite there yet. It will take some time for the plants to grow up then I think it'll be better.

On that note, still checking ammonia and nitrites, all zeros so far. I made spacers to adjust the lights, just got to install them. Actually, given I'll have some 40W of LED once I'm done, I have to wonder if that is too much or not? For a tank without CO2 that is.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds