Sudden Deaths in New Tank (FIVE so Far)

• Big_Chubbz
  • Big_Chubbz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Big_Chubbz replied the topic: Sudden Deaths in New Tank (FIVE so Far)

I ended up using the method below that I found here . The drip method was also covered at that site, but that was just too much for me to hassle with. I am, after all, dealing with $20 worth of tiger barbs. I spent more than that on my hot wings tonight. :P

The three new arrivals are schooling with the survivors and seem to be OK for now. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help!

Floating Method
Turn off aquarium lights.

Dim the lights in the room where the shipping box will be opened. Never open the box in bright light - severe stress or trauma may result from sudden exposure to bright light.

Float the sealed bag in the aquarium for 15 minutes (Fig. A). Never open the shipping bag at this time. This step allows the water in the shipping bag to adjust slowly to the temperature in the aquarium, while maintaining a high level of dissolved oxygen.

After floating the sealed shipping bag for 15 minutes, cut open the bag just under the metal clip (Fig. B) and roll the top edge of the bag down one inch to create an air pocket within the lip of the bag. This will enable the bag to float on the surface of the water (Fig. C). For heavy pieces of live coral that will submerge the shipping bag, place the bag containing the coral in a plastic bowl or specimen container.

Add 1/2 cup of aquarium water to the shipping bag (Fig. D).

Repeat step 5 every four minutes until the shipping bag is full.

Lift the shipping bag from the aquarium and discard half the water from the bag (Fig. E).

Float the shipping bag in the aquarium again and proceed to add 1/2 cup of aquarium water to the shipping bag every four minutes until the bag is full.

Net aquatic life from the shipping bag and release into the aquarium (Fig. F).

Remove the filled shipping bag from the aquarium and discard the water. Never release shipping water directly into the aquarium.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Big_Chubbz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

All the tiger barbs are still fine. I found another dead Red GD this morning when I turned the lights on. Based on his size and color, I'm pretty sure he was the one I brought home in the second batch from Aquarium Adventure. So he didn't quite make it 48 hours in my tank.

So weird. Of the 33 fish that I have added to the tank, 6 have died. Over 18% mortality. About equal mortality rate from both stores. 2/9 from PetCo (22%), and 4/24 from AA (17%).

All the fish that have died were ones that I did not acclimate using the floating method outlined earlier in this thread, so for now, I will continue under the hypothesis that the deaths were all a result of osmotic shock. I'd be glad to entertain any other ideas or suggestions. The last guy from PetCo chalked it up to bad luck after testing my water. He also said that 15 minutes floating the bag in the tank should be plenty to acclimate the fish before releasing them. :unsure:

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Sudden Deaths in New Tank (FIVE so Far)

The guy from Petco doesn't fully understand what acclimating fish means.

Remz replied the topic: Sudden Deaths in New Tank (FIVE so Far)

As far as I have read, any Glo fish are very very very moody to water conditions. I agree that a shock to new water may have something to do with this.

However 0-0-0 stats on your water is odd. you should have SOME nitrate.

Anyhow... I acclimate my fish in the bags when I get them home and have no problem doing this:

Sink back in the water for 20 mins.

Dunk it after for just a second or two.

Make sure there is lots of air in there and float for another 20.

Dunk it a second or two.

bag should be about 3/4 full. let it sit for about 30 mins.

scoop them out or if u trust ur fish store just dump em in.

never had a bad outcome this way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big_Chubbz

• Big_Chubbz
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Nitrates were zero because the tank is so new. I fishless cycled the tank. I lost another danio yesterday. He was one of the ones that I didn't acclimate, so if it ISN'T osmotic shock, I'm really at a loss to figure out what the deal is. Water is currently testing at 0-0-5. I'm heading to the pet store later to exchange these dead fish. I'm hoping that if I more carefully acclimate them, that this will be my last trip.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds