• Nina_W
  • Nina_W's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W created the topic: Jaguars

Well, there are no posts here, which is sad :(

In honour of the sudden influx of these guys - let's talk about jaguar cichlids!

How much space do they need?
What sort of tank setup works well for them?
What do they eat?
How do you sex them?
Why do you want to keep them?
What common health problems do they get?

And, of course, the most important question:
Can they bite through a chainmail glove?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Jaguars

HAHA I was going to post a Jag update this weekend !!! you just had to beat me to it lol!!! also I have a CA from the show thread I thought about doing lol!!!

But yes Jags are amazing fish Love them

Sex - dimorphic so Size is a huge contributor Bigger = Males!

also im not sure yet but it is looking like in females they keep some more of the stripes like then younger than males do ( in Honduras Jags at least) where males have just a all over scattered pattern

Female

Male

Why do I want to keep them?! well because they are awesome lol !! JK but they are very intelligent fish due to their great hunting abilities they have to be... they get large (+16 inches) with a nice set of teeth and huge Jaw which to me is to cool! also the color my Hondo Jags are freaking blue how cool it that !?!?!

Ill let some other people answer stuff but if they dont I will post again !!!

and yes they would take the whole finger lol ( ok well we will find out in a few years ;) :(

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: Jaguars

Nina_W wrote: Well, there are no posts here, which is sad :(

In honour of the sudden influx of these guys - let's talk about jaguar cichlids!

What sort of tank setup works well for them?
What do they eat?
How do you sex them?

I would say a minimum 75GL tank, 90 would be better for one.

Rocks & small amount of gravel, no plants, as they will rip them up IMO(except Java Fern, mine ate it once & never again, supposed to taste bad); will attack heaters & thermometers,so hide them securely. Make sure rocks are big enough that a full grown male can't move them, they are prodigious diggers & are strong fish.

Will eat anything they can fit in their spacious mouths, choose tankmates w/ care. Conspecifics are killed or bullied until dead. Earthworms & mealworms are great foods to add bulk. A quality pellet for maintenance is recommended.

MALE (mine)

FEMALE (found a pic of a pair)females don't have a distinctive Jaguar pattern, & are smaller, but just as aggressive!! (Female is top fish in pic)

Jags are very hardy cichlids; mine jumped out of his tank & was 1/2 way dried out, & made it. One tough fish. They do prefer hard, alkaline water; a PH of 7.5+ will do them just fine. 75-78F for maintenance, 80F for breeding. Massive WC's of @ least 75% 1X per week w/ a thourough gravel vaccumming are required, as is extremely efficient mechanical & biological,are required to keep them in prine shape. If breeding is attempted. the incomplete divider method is recommended so the female can escape from the male if necessary.

I don't know about biting through it, but they would leave a mark!! ;)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• black,orangeoscar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

black,orangeoscar replied the topic: Re: Jaguars

whats the chance of having a succesfull outcome with an oscar as a tankmate

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Jaguars

black,orangeoscar wrote: whats the chance of having a succesfull outcome with an oscar as a tankmate

The outcome is very bleak!

If jag wants to kill oscar he will with ease.. they are not from the same bodies of water

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: Jaguars

Minimum tank size 48"x18"x20" for a single jaguar with no tankmates

What do they eat?
A piscavore, so a mainly high protein diet (over 40%) is required by this fish. Besides pellets, worms and crickets or other insects should be part of its diet. Freeze dried food soaked in vitamins would be a good addition

How do you sex them?
Males are generally bigger than females (females are around 20-25% smaller than males of the same age). Females tend to have a higher body than males. Females tend to have more yellow/brown spotting on the lower half of the body. A better way is to vent the fish or wait for females to drop their breeding tube and lay eggs, which can happen between 5-8".

However, there are cases were females were mistakenly identified as males until they laid eggs.

Personable and have nice attractive jaguar patterns and coloring. They do not sulk like oscars.

HITH, cloudy eye due to poor aquarium husbandry basically same issues as oscars

With difficulty. Your best bet is to make scalemail

Here are a couple of females that people thought were males.

5" female

7-8" female

8" female

• Ohhz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Ohhz replied the topic: Re: Jaguars

I love how Jags always look as if they are smiling, it looks like such a nice, happy fish :) I wish I could just own a huge body of water and have all the fish I please, haha.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Jaguars

Jaguar Cichlid
Parachromis managuense

Scientific Name: Parachromis managuense

Common Name: Jaguar Cichlid

Family: Cichlidae

Species Type: Central American Cichlids

Size: 18" for males and 14" for females. Side note: If jaguars are given the proper care they can grow much larger.

Life span: If given the proper care 15+ years.

Originates from: Eastern Honduras, Lake Managua, Lake Nicaragua, Costa Rica

Minimum tank size: 125 gallons for a single juvenile jaguar and 180 gallons for a breeding pair.

Water region: Middle to lower levels

Temperature Range: 72°F-80°F

PH Range: 7.0 to 7.8. Jaguars are very tolerant and if you properly acclimate them, they will accept a wider range of ph.

Diet: Carnivore. Jaguars should be provided with a varied diet of pellets, food sticks, live, frozen, and freeze dried foods. Wild Jaguars are enthusiastic predators feeding mostly on smaller fishes.

Temperament: Aggressive.

Tank Mates: Other larger Cichlids. In my opinion if you are looking for tank mates make sure your tank is over 200 gallons. A good rule or thumb for these fish is if it can fit in the jaguars mouth it WILL eat it.

Description: Jaguars are beautiful fish with a goldish yellow background and black markings all over the body that sort of resemble the markings of a jaguar. Jaguars have a horrible reputation of being completely belligerent. From what I’ve seen and owners I’ve talked with all agree that it is rare to come across one that is truly belligerent and not just territorial. Jaguars will flare at intruders to let them know that they are in there space but unless the other fish initiates a turf war, the jaguar will rarely provoke any drama given there is plenty of tank space. Now here’s the flip side, when Jaguars are spawning all bets are off. It is my firm belief that a breeding pair of jaguars MUST be kept alone or they will kill everything in the tank.

Sexing: Sexing the jaguar is very difficult to do when they are young because they all have black striping covering there bodies. When the male reaches maturity the striping will nearly if not completely vanish whereas the females stripes will stay with them for life. Males are also gold with black speckles and are much larger than females.

Breeding: Jaguars are sexually mature by 4 inches and the female can lay up to 500 eggs. The female will lay the eggs on a flat surface while the male follows up and fertilizes them. The female will then fan the eggs wile the male guards the perimeter. Remember the comment I made about the jaguar not being to aggressive, that is not the case anymore! When spawning jaguars will be hyper aggressive and if you have tank mates you better rehome them quick because once young are present, all bets are off. The young will hatch around 3 to 5 day's after being laid. They then become wrigglers feeding on their yolk sacs. About 5 to 8 day's later they are free swimming and can be fed, micro worms, baby brine, crushed flake and my first bites. People who breed jaguars will keep there pairs in a divided tank. The divider will have a section cut out just small enough for the female to fit through and escape an overly aggressive male.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

ehall67 wrote:

black,orangeoscar wrote: whats the chance of having a succesfull outcome with an oscar as a tankmate

The outcome is very bleak!

If jag wants to kill oscar he will with ease.. they are not from the same bodies of water

It is very rare to have an oscar get along with a jaguar. Your chances are better if you have a tank around 7-8 ft.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds