True Parrot Cichlid (Hoplarchus Psittacus)

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: True Parrot Cichlid (Hoplarchus Psittacus)

Although I disagree w/ Rock about Oscars being kept for any length of time in nitrates @ that level(I always kept my Oscars like Discus), he is spot on about the Parrots......they need pristine water to do well, so regular massive WC's as well as extremely efficient biological filtration(as in wet/dry) are the "order of the day" if you wish to keep them. They are extremely susceptible to HITH/LLE if they are kept in anything less than ideal conditions. And although uncommon in the hobby these days, $65 plus shipping is a steep price for this species.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thor84
  • Thor84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • GREASE MONKEY
  • Thank you received: 7

Thor84 replied the topic: Re: True Parrot Cichlid (Hoplarchus Psittacus)

I really appreciate the input guys. I think I might file this guy into the "not yet" folder.

I'm really thinking the hardness of the water where I live is going to hinder me in this hobby.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: True Parrot Cichlid (Hoplarchus Psittacus)

or get fish that flourish in the hardness like africans instead of SA cichlids

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: True Parrot Cichlid (Hoplarchus Psittacus)

Some CA's like Jags & Doviis like hard water also, but you need a decent size tank just for one.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: True Parrot Cichlid (Hoplarchus Psittacus)

fishguy66 wrote: Although I disagree w/ Rock about Oscars being kept for any length of time in nitrates @ that level(I always kept my Oscars like Discus), he is spot on about the Parrots......they need pristine water to do well, so regular massive WC's as well as extremely efficient biological filtration(as in wet/dry) are the "order of the day" if you wish to keep them. They are extremely susceptible to HITH/LLE if they are kept in anything less than ideal conditions. And although uncommon in the hobby these days, $65 plus shipping is a steep price for this species.

Yeah I missed explaining my point that an oscar is much hardier than a parrot and will show no signs of issues with nitrates as high as 40ppm-60ppm (short term - fish should be kept with nitrates below 20ppm); whereas the true parrot will immediately show side effects of nitrates above 20ppm.

Thor84 wrote: Thanks for the article, rock. I think my water might be too hard (8.2), to keep this fish. Think it would be a problem?

I haven't seen wild parrots bred in the aquarium and their juvenile being sold. The ones that I have stumbled across online are typically wild caught, which leads me to believe that ph of 8.2 will be hard on the fish.

• Thor84
  • Thor84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • GREASE MONKEY
  • Thank you received: 7

Thor84 replied the topic: Re: True Parrot Cichlid (Hoplarchus Psittacus)

African cichlids are pretty..... But I've never really been interested in them. I've only ever wanted CA/SA cichlids.
I got an email from aquascape first thing this morning. Shipping would be approx 80$. So that makes one fish $145. That pretty much seals the deal. Not getting it.

But a JAG on the other hand....

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Yeah, that's waaaayyyyyy to expensive. Highway robbery, really. Try Jeff Rapps (tangledupincichlids.com). If he doesn't have what your looking for, e-mail him, he might not have it listed. Great guy to deal with. Highly recommend.

One caveat, though......winter is obviously not a great time to ship fish, & a LOT of online fish houses won't guarantee anything less than something on the order of overnight express, which will cost an arm & a leg........unless you can find local.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Jags are amazing fish !!! but what are you thinking of putting him with

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: True Parrot Cichlid (Hoplarchus Psittacus)

That's about right for next day shipping from the east coast to texas.

I would wait for Eddie to have a batch of fry if you want a jag.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Rocksor wrote: That's about right for next day shipping from the east coast to texas.

I would wait for Eddie to have a batch of fry if you want a jag.

that is far!

and thanks for the vote of confidence Rock! I so think its in your best interest also Thor :whistle: any airports near you?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds