Hondo Jags Pair off

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Hondo Jags Pair off

Awesome news Eddie! Man this is exciting! They're lookin great and hopefully they finish the job man!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ehall67
  • ehall67's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Hondo Jags Pair off

JasonR wrote: Awesome news Eddie! Man this is exciting! They're lookin great and hopefully they finish the job man!!

Thanks J !! I hope so to!!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Hexclover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Stimulate the economy by buying me a BEER!
  • Thank you received: 74

Hexclover replied the topic: Hondo Jags Pair off

ehall67 wrote:

Hexclover wrote: that male is a stunner! good luck with the breeding since im guessing thats your intentions. one question is that a sibling pair?

yes I do believe so but even if they are they are F1

Thanks a lot Nice I very pleased with their colors also!! I can not wait to see them intensify as they grow!!!

i've never bred fish before but ive always thought the more diverse the gene pool is the better... so why do so many people go out and purposely get sibling pairs? when a non sibling pair would be more beneficial to the fishes in the long run.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Hondo Jags Pair off

1. With sexually dimorphic fish, it's easier to tell larger males from smaller females.

2. Simpler to find at a single pet shop or breeder, versus going out and finding another seller.

3. Keeping certain characteristics, e.g. keeping colorful fish. In Eddie's case, if he were to buy LFS female jag, the chances for the juveniles to have the same coloration as the F1 male are really slim. So the value of the juveniles are less.

Those are only the ones that I know about.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Hexclover wrote:

ehall67 wrote:

Hexclover wrote: that male is a stunner! good luck with the breeding since im guessing thats your intentions. one question is that a sibling pair?

yes I do believe so but even if they are they are F1

Thanks a lot Nice I very pleased with their colors also!! I can not wait to see them intensify as they grow!!!

i've never bred fish before but ive always thought the more diverse the gene pool is the better... so why do so many people go out and purposely get sibling pairs? when a non sibling pair would be more beneficial to the fishes in the long run.

Well my dear friend Rocksor is right on every point he just made!

My fish are F1 which means their parents are wild caught... they still have a good bit of genetic variation in them now! if they keep getting breed like ( many generations) this there are going to be problems..

even in the wild F1's will breed its not strange...

also I want to keep this color in my fish so I am breeding 2 fish with to to hopefully make it deeper ... kids are also breed with their parents to get this desired effect... it is called Line breeding

my babies are not in trouble if you are worried about that... I would not do wrong by them Hex ;)

• Hexclover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Stimulate the economy by buying me a BEER!
  • Thank you received: 74

Hexclover replied the topic: Hondo Jags Pair off

ehall67 wrote:

Well my dear friend Rocksor is right on every point he just made!

My fish are F1 which means their parents are wild caught... they still have a good bit of genetic variation in them now! if they keep getting breed like ( many generations) this there are going to be problems..

even in the wild F1's will breed its not strange...

also I want to keep this color in my fish so I am breeding 2 fish with to to hopefully make it deeper ... kids are also breed with their parents to get this desired effect... it is called Line breeding

my babies are not in trouble if you are worried about that... I would not do wrong by them Hex ;)

i see, thats what i kinda thought... i know i could get a sibling female for my festea male but im not sure how inbred they are(festea have become extremely popular in the past few years so im sure alot of inbreeding is being done to these guys) and i dont trust someones word saying that they are f1s or wild caught because i never went over and caught them.

anyways thanks for the answers guys! and goodluck with these guys i'll be following this one for sure ;) .

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Hondo Jags Pair off

Bump cuz I finally got to see the vid on a real computer! This is awesome man!

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

I got mine from a pretty reputable guy so I feel safe in it ... and thanks plz stay tuned should be good stuff for you guys soon!!!

and Thanks J I am so excited not its just a waiting game!!! once my 110 sells I will have some room for some fry tanks !!!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds