cant make up my mind

• Macian
  • Macian's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Macian created the topic: cant make up my mind

hello, i posted a while ago asking for advice but moving xmas and other stuff got in the way of setting up my new tank. Any way i have managed to get hold of a 450L tank instead of a 300L and will be running an external filter which says suitable for tanks upto 1000L (2000LPH flow rate)both of which i now have, just waiting till next payday to get my gravel and a 3D backing then ill start cycling.

The advice im looking for 1ST im definatly putting my 4 clown loaches in the new tank, all about 5 years old and between 4-6 " ish, i want a big cichlid in there too, an oscar or JD are the only ones regularly available at my LFS but they maybe able to get hold of othersbut i dont know much about any others so would like advice/recommendationson these.

2nd i asked about adding 3 siamese flying foxes(6" apiece fullgrown i believe) but was advised that they would prob be the o's lunch would they be ok with a JD as they are smaller.

could i have anything else in there as tankmates, ifso what would u do.

btw how do Angels do with larger cichlids.

sorry put this in the wrong thread.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: cant make up my mind

450L that's 120 gallons for the americans and brits here :)
Clown loaches do grow up a lot, your tank won't be enough for them once they are fully grown, aside the bioload issue, if you want a main cichlid, better get one that will almost never hide, Jack Dempsey does hide sometimes, I would have suggested a green terror but they tend to hide also, an oscar is an excellent choice here, a severum can be a viable alternative.
Both Jack Dempsey and the oscar will happily eat the algae eaters.
For an oscar tank you will need more filtration another canister would be welcome

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: cant make up my mind

Go jack dempsey, it is a smaller fish and the bioload wont be too heavy on the tank with the clown loaches.

I wouldn't add anymore fish. Besides the 4 clowns and 1 JD.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: cant make up my mind

X2 what Rock said. With a full grown Oscar and the loaches water quality would get difficult to manage

• Thank you received: 26

FuzzyLumpkins replied the topic: cant make up my mind

4 clown loaches and 1 JD. That's a lot of 8-12" bottom dwellers in a 120gal footprint. I'd get a medium size middle/top area swimmer. Thats just my 2c though. Severums or equivalent would make a nice addition.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds