Umbees and Doviis

• tjwalley
  • tjwalley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

tjwalley created the topic: Umbees and Doviis

I seen JasonR's thread in the DIY section on his plywood tank build (you should really check this out!!) and he mentioned a umbee and dovii. I've never heard of these so i immediately looked them up on Youtube... These may be the most BA fish I've seen!! They get super huge and i was also suprised at how much color fish that size have! I have hopes of doing an acrylic or plywood build once i buy a house (i do NOT want to move a tank that size!!!) and was wondering what a minimum size tank would be needed for one of these bad boys? I read they can grow to 24 inches in length (Umbees) and I'm thinking I would do a 8 foot long x 4 or 5 foot wide build. I would think that would be plenty of room for one? And also wondering if they would be compatable with a freshwater stingray and possibly some kind of 'exotic' pleco as I've also read the Umbees can be extremely vicious!? I have just recently started looking into this idea of mine so i have LOTS of research to do (sump filtration - which i have NO idea how those work, plumbing, and preventing water damage to the interior of the house with a tank that size, how to heat something that big and so on....) luckily i still have a lot of time before i can get a house so i'll have lots of time to plan. And a project this size will surely take a lot of time to save up for so it could be a few YEARS :( before i can even get started. But for now the tank mate question is the only one keeping me up at night. I'm sure as the research goes on i'll have more questions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Umbees and Doviis

I think you may be able to keep a tankmate or 2 w/ Umbees, but not w/ a Dovii...

Here's a little video that'll school you a wee bit....pay attention to the narration:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Umbees and Doviis

yeah I dont see you keeping a stingray with either of them and def not an exotic pleco unless you feel like spending a lot of money to watch your fish be killed!

they are both monster ! I have seen young ones with other fish but once they grow up game over they will destroy your tank they are not to be trifled with true piscivores demanding a tank of their own with amazing teeth to boot! I mean the guy has some "young" ones in 1,000 gallons!!! thats pretty serious tank!

Love them great fish but you are looking at a 24 inch inch fish so yes at least a 8ft tank upwards of +200 gallons

awesome fish but not for beginners !

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Umbees and Doviis

I am 80% finished a 96x36x32 475gal and when I started I was seriously considering a Dovii. Research told me that the males can go to 28ins and will often kill the females. If you have the time,money and skills go for a big build and put in some big CA's. Mine will have a Jag, Red Tex, Red Devil,Green Terror, JD, Oscar and Convict, all of whom are growing nicely in a 135. I fully expect to have to remove the O and Con as the other fellas will have more jaw strength to go with their sharp teeth, not to mention higher aggression levels. In a 475 they may be alright for a year.... maybe!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

tjwalley replied the topic: Umbees and Doviis

I wasn't sure about the sting ray but I'm suprised a pleco would be a no-go. My original idea was to make a gigantic.....and i mean GIGANTIC tank to put some big (but not necessarily aggressive) fish in, just to give them an environment that they could all thrive in and reach their maximum size. I used to look at plecos as a "crud-fish" (keeping it PG rated) but i came across a few videos ofsome full grown ones and they are actually pretty cool lookin fish! And i love catfishing, and once i found out they were in the same family that changed my opinion of them too. So i wanted at least 2 of those, a RTC, a few O's and maybe a sting ray along with a nice sized school of SD's and some other big fish. But once i seen that Umbee that changed that whole thought! The idea was to put it in a pole building or garage so i can make a 20 footer! If i do end up taking on a project that size i would want to build a smaller tank first though so maybe I could make one for just a Umbee and if that works out I can move on to the "dream tank". Like i said though, still in the idea-stage for awhile. So many amazing fish out there, would be sweet to be able to properly care for one of each!! Lol

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: I am 80% finished a 96x36x32 475gal and when I started I was seriously considering a Dovii. Research told me that the males can go to 28ins and will often kill the females. If you have the time,money and skills go for a big build and put in some big CA's. Mine will have a Jag, Red Tex, Red Devil,Green Terror, JD, Oscar and Convict, all of whom are growing nicely in a 135. I fully expect to have to remove the O and Con as the other fellas will have more jaw strength to go with their sharp teeth, not to mention higher aggression levels. In a 475 they may be alright for a year.... maybe!

I remember reading a comment you left on JasonR's post, do you happen to have a thread up in the DIY i could follow? I'll skim through tonight and see if i can find one you started. Or if u do and can get me the title that'd help too. I would figure in a tank that size they would all have enough space to leave each other alone! But if they get big and have an aggressive temperment that could be a problem too. I dont know much about the others as far as how much space they will claim as their territory either though. Sounds like it will be an awesome aquarium for sure though!

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: Umbees and Doviis

That is going to be an extremely awesome project! Trying to get into some monster fish eh? lol

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

I'm very hopefull i can get this going! Money will definitely be an issue until i get few more years in at work, but i'll be saving up while my knowledge is playing catch-up to my passion of the hobby.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Umbees and Doviis

I don't think you should plan too much on getting a red tail catfish. They grow to be huge, so huge that an oscar can dissapear down there in one gulp. Pretty much no home tank ever can house them. We're talking of a fish the size of a smallish woman, 4 to 5 feet big, weighing in at 50 kilograms. If you don't have over 1000 gallons, it's just not viable to house it for life.

I also really like the huge plecos. :)

If you get to this, it will be a fantastic project.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Umbees and Doviis

Anyone else overcome with the desire to hook a large Dovi on light tackle? :huh:

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds