Any advisable combinations?

• Keith
  • Keith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Keith created the topic: Any advisable combinations?

I'm starting to narrow down my stocking wish list and was wondering what combinations, if any, had decent odds of working out. I know with CA cichlids it can vary largely on the individual personalities of the fish but I wanted to get recommendations of what has the best chances in general with the species I'm interested in.

- 75 gallon tank, can't upgrade so even though I'll get fish as juveniles, adult sizes and temperaments need to be considered

- tank has 2 Java Fern and 2 Anubis, roots surrounded by rocks for protection with a sand substrate, considering a floating plant to provide top cover for a sense of security and break up some of the light when the light is turned on

- would like more than a single fish in the tank (not counting possible Pleco or SAE)

- don't have anywhere to go with fry so a breeding pair unfortunately probably not a good option

- top 3 on my wish list are Salvini, Jack Dempsey and Firemouth

- also fan of Pictus catfish but if 2 of the above would be a good fit without them they don't need to be included

Rocksor has already mentioned to me in another thread that a JD and Firemouth might work if the 2 individuals tolerated each other.

As far as breeding pairs go, I think a pair of Sals would top my list. While I was reading about different fish I ran across a post on another forum where someone asked if there was a way of avoiding fry while getting the benefits of a breeding pair (most notably the colors and interaction). The person was specifically asking about Firemouths and someone suggested possibly get a nocturnal bottom feeder that would eat the eggs while the pair slept. Would that work? If it would is there a fish that would be best suited for that role with Sals that wouldn't likely be dead before the eggs were laid?

So any stocking recommendations with a good chance of working? If not I'd like to know that ahead of time too.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 44

CalebZachary replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

I'd get a larger Firemouth, and a Smaller JD. My firemouth is aggressive and tries to fight with his Convict tank mate. Maybe like a 3" FM, and a 2" JD. I believe JD grow faster. Salvini are very aggressive, I don't know if either will survive with one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

the jd would have the size advantage over everything.

salvinis is absolutely the way to go for a 75 because they dont get as big as most ca cichlid in other words.... you can house more then 1.

1 jd, 1 salvini, 1 firemouth could work but as always a backup plan is going to be needed.
the firemouth may get the short end of the stick there.... he will most likely be the least aggressive of the 3. and jds have the size advantage.

jd and salvini shouldnt have any comparability problems in my eyes.

also - pictus cat should work with any of the above combination.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

CalebZachary wrote: I'd get a larger Firemouth, and a Smaller JD. My firemouth is aggressive and tries to fight with his Convict tank mate. Maybe like a 3" FM, and a 2" JD. I believe JD grow faster. Salvini are very aggressive, I don't know if either will survive with one.

jds do grow faster..... but are also pretty damn mean.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

I think the adult size potential of JD would say no to 3 in a 75. Sal and FM maybe but the Sal is way meaner, and unlike the FM, will back up his aggression with action.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 44

CalebZachary replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

Yeah JD are mean as heck, but the FM will quickly be put in his place and won't retaliate.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

also keep in mind that each fish has its own individual traits. My big male JD, a solid 8ins, maybe more is one of the most even tempered fish I own. My smaller male, around 4ins, is not so gentle. Hated my GT and Convicts, but gets along well with Oscar and pair of Nics. You never know.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

Salvini and grammodes would be interesting to try. Make a lot of small hidey holes for the sals.

Baby grammodes

Daddy

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Keith
  • Keith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Keith replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

Thanks for all the quick responses! I possibly should have been a little clearer. I have no intention on trying all 3, looking for which two are most likely to generally get along (while also knowing nothing is guaranteed since each individual has it's own personality).

It seems like the general sense I was getting when researching the species is holding true here. Sal & FM is probably the least likely to work out. JD & FM depends on the individuals and the same with JD and Sal.

Of those options I think the Sal and JD possibly with a small school of 3 pictus would be my personal favorite.

Any thoughts on whether a breeding pair of Sals or FM with a nocturnal catfish to eat the eggs would work? Aqadvisor says the pair would be too aggressive at breeding time for the Pictus but perhaps an armored cat such as a striped raphael?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

any breeding pair of cichlids would try to take over the whole tank 4 ft is not a whole of space with a breeding pair.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds