Any advisable combinations?

• Thank you received: 40

ehh replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

Do a lone red devil :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

A good choice, but he wants a couple fish.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Keith
  • Keith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Keith replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

Well, my tank finished cycling a few days ago and I decided that rather than attempting more than 1 cichlid I may have a better chance of success with 1 cichlid as the center piece and non-cichlid tankmates.

I decided on a green terror (at least I think so, I confused myself by trying to learn the differences in GT and Blue Acara juveniles).

For tankmates I went with Pictus cats and Giant Danios. I gave them a few days head start before introducing the GT yesterday.

So far so good. The GT is the smallest fish in the tank at around 1.5" (without tail). The cats are around 2" and the Danios are the big guys at around 2.25".

The GT has earned the respect of the cats. While he was exploring they tried to chase him away from their spot and he just looked at them like "yeah, I'm not leaving". He's unsure about the Danios, tried to school with them but couldn't keep up and when one noticed him nearby it chased him and he swam away. He attempts to avoid them when possible!

I did notice one thing though. I'm feeding Hikari Cichlid Gold Baby size (1mm). He takes one in his mouth and then spits it back out. Does that just mean he doesn't like the taste or is it possible that he can't swallow them? He is eating some of the flakes that I put in for the danios and between feedings he picks something (not sure what, don't have an algae problem) off the rocks and plants. I'm hoping that he will eat the pellets fairly soon, I only got a small package of TetraMin flakes because when I got the danios I was unsure if they could eat the pellets, they do, so after that package is gone I plan to convert them to the pellets also.

• Keith
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Haha,! The pic is upside down. Any way to rotate it?

• Thank you received: 23

yesimhere2 replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

sounds to big yet, go with flakes till larger, usually from what i have read pellets start happening between 2 and 4" good quality flakes just as good at the small age.

• Thank you received: 44

CalebZachary replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

My oscar did that when I got him. He'd spit the pellets out, but then he'd eventually eat it after it sat for a bit and got softer.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Any advisable combinations?

soak the pelletswith liquid vitamins or tank water. use a teaspoon to add a little water. After 10 minutes, it will be soft enough to swallow.

• Keith
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try presoaking. If that doesn't work I'll just stick with flakes until he grows a bit.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds