Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

• Emily
  • Emily's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Emily created the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

Mondo, my loving fish, was bought a year ago by my boyfriend for my birthday. He was sold to us as a Red Devil. I knew he most likely could be mixed, but he looks more like a Red Devil than a Midas in my opinion. However, he also only looks remotely like a Red Devil.

I was told that he most likely was a red variety of Amphilophus sagittae. When I seen a pure strain of them, he looked just like them (in my opinion).

He is highly aggressive, but prefers to hide in his caves all day. I would guess that he is about 11" long. He isn't an enthusiastic eater (will not come out of his cave to eat and will only eat when it is dark in my room and when nothing is moving). He isn't very bright red, but more of an orange color. He does have a large white spot on his side and a white spot on his hump.

Here are some very old videos of him with his old girlfriend and a very, very old picture. These were all when he was three years old. He is now four years old.

What species would you say he is?

Does anyone have any suggestions on making him more friendlier? Or do you believe it is best to just let him be his unsocial self? He doesn't even come out when it is just myself and I'm reading on my bed or anything.

Thanks!
Emily

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

When in doubt, Midevil, with more midas than red devil due to high body and prominent nuchal hump. If the person who sold him to you cannot name who imported or who imported the its parents then consider it a mixed species. Amphilophus labiatus is more bullet shaped.

If you want him to come out more, you have to remove the cave or add large dithers.

www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?201309-Jeff-Rapps-photographic-library-of-wild-red-devils

www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?201317-Jeff-Rapps-photographic-library-of-wild-midas-cichlids

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

The hump and body shape are Midas like.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Thank you received: 40

ehh replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

I'm not help here but he is nice looking!

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

No doubt very nice color.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

Post a video of this fish taken today.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

What happened to the female you had with him ? Are they both still in the same tank ? Did you ever upgrade to a larger tank if you still have both ?

• Emily
  • Emily's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Emily replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Post a video of this fish taken today.

We never did get to upgrade, so we no longer have her.

His color is a lot more bleached out now. I feed him Hikari and Omega One, but nothing seems to give him that glow any more. Thinking of ways to brighten him back up again.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

The female would have had a lot to do with his previously bright colors so without a mate in the tank you won't be able to achieve those colors regardless of what you feed or do. He looks great though

• Thank you received: 40

ehh replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

You beat me to it Jason. I was gonna say the something.

He looks a lot like mine. Mine is only about a year old though. And no big forehead yet.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds