Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

I think I would try Rocks suggestion of getting some large dithers. I bet the activity in his tank would draw him out. Great looking fish hope to see more of him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

I disagree w/ the dither fish....that tank is not big enough for a RD & anything else.......

"The aquarium needs cleaned again. My cousin tossed in some of his brine shrimp and little clumps of it is floating around."

Don't let anyone but you feed your fish. With a fish that size & a tank that small, managing the nitrogen cycle will be challenging to say the least. I would recommend you do @ least 75% WC's 2X per week along w/ a thorough gravel vacuuming each time to maintain health.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Emily
  • Emily's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Emily replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

Trust me, I know. I told her not to toss anything in there, especially the shrimp, but it happened anyways.

On the other hand, this may be an odd question, but I searched to see what a dither fish was and I don't quite get what they are. If I understood it correctly, it is school of fish that are just used to let the big fish bully. They are supposed to be fast enough that he can't catch either. Is this correct? I've never heard of dither fish before.

I also agree that the aquarium is not big enough to put anything in with Mondo. But, I also don't believe in allowing anything to suffer like that if I correctly understood what a dither fish was.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

Hi emily, as i read through the thread .. you don't need to add any more load into your tank ..

yes dither fish is basically what you just said ... it's to separate the aggression toward other fishes in the tank ... most dithers are fast enough that they don't get hurt .....

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

actually ...

dither fish are schooling fish that let other fish know that it is safe to swim out in the open. If an aggressive predator is nearby, they swim away to safety. Dither definition - A state of indecisive agitation

target fish are fish used to spread out aggression by giving an aggressive fish something to act aggressive to. you have to have more than 1 target fish for this to work.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

In fact if you dislike suffering you might want to get the midevil a larger tank.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• Thank you received: 26

FuzzyLumpkins replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

Dither/Target fish with an ampilophus? with the average home aquarium good luck with that lol

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

Yeah 4ft is not a long enough aquarium to play target fish with.

• Thank you received: 26

FuzzyLumpkins replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

Ah RD's they bring back fond memories from back in the day. That when I 1st found out they had teeth. They leave such cute little bleeding hicky marks

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Sold to me as a Red Devil, but I am having some second thoughts

"Trust me, I know. I told her not to toss anything in there, especially the shrimp, but it happened anyways."

This is your tank, take ownership of it. Sorry, but I can't stress this enough. No one feeds my fish but me w/ out my permission. This is a real easy way for your water quality to deteriorate F-A-S-T. And in that size tank w/ that size fish, that is something you cannot afford.

If this is the biggest aquarium you have access to or plan to obtain, I would strongly recommend you remove most if not all of that gravel. Far too much in there. This will give your cichlid more water volume & will definitely help w/ water quality.

What is your weekly water change schedule?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds