New Jack Dempsey

• Firestorm8215
  • Firestorm8215's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 created the topic: New Jack Dempsey

Picked him/her up yesterday. Hoping by looking at the pics you guys can tell me if its male or female.
Been giving the Oscars a run for their money, but nothing to serious. He seems to have it out for Lily , the smaller one of my two Oscars. But surprisingly Knuclehead will come to her defense every so often and chase off the JD. There have been no injuries and the chasing is one of those off and on situations. How long before things should settle down , or is this just normal ? and at what point should I become majorly concerned ?

Anyhow...here are some pics. Not the greatest , but he/she is all over the place.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New Jack Dempsey

Nice addition Sandra, its a male I am fairly certain. As far as settling down, you know as well as anyone that cichlids have a mind and temperment unique to themselves. My O/JD combos have worked well so far, but just one of those you never know deals. Sure a pretty fella though, good score, JD are one of my faves.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Firestorm8215

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: New Jack Dempsey

Thanks Dave. He sure brought life into the tank. :laugh:
It's been less than 24 hours , and they may chase each other some , but it's not some crazy battle. I just don't want Lily to get too stressed.
I thought its a male as well , but wanted to get some opinions in here before naming him.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: New Jack Dempsey

Good looking fish and fantastic color! I have a JD/Jag combo right now and they have their moments, but they seem to more or less stick to separate ends of the tank. I am sure once the jag gets a little bigger he will own the tank, but right now they are pretty close in size. Is Lily larger than the new guy?

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

They are actually almost the same size Rob. But with the Oscars growth rate she should outgrow him in no time.
If all else fails I have a 55G as a back up I can put him in. Unless I adopt one of the Oscars the guy is trying to rehome... :whistle:

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: New Jack Dempsey

looks like a male.

the oscar will outgrow him but jacks do get pretty mean so like you said, backup plan is always needed. my old male jd claimed my 150 to himself. 2 oscars were with him for years until one day he decided he wasnt having it.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I will keep that in mind Metal. Of course that would be the perfect excuse to look for and put up a 75G... :whistle:

Firestorm8215 wrote: They are actually almost the same size Rob. But with the Oscars growth rate she should outgrow him in no time.
If all else fails I have a 55G as a back up I can put him in. Unless I adopt one of the Oscars the guy is trying to rehome... :whistle:

Thats what I thought, but my JD did not get the memo, he seems to be growing at the same rate as the Jag (and has close to an inch on the other 3 purchased at the same time). He also begs like an Oscar. I think any excuse for a new tank is a good one!

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

This one is eating like its an Olympic sport. If it hits the tank , its going in his mouth.
I think they will be fine. At least for a little while. The little bit of chasing and fighting has been nothing out of what you would expect when adding a new fish. Considering its been less then 24 hours they actually calmed down quite a bit. Lily has two very tiny marks on her tail , but I am not sure that its actually from him nipping her , or her running around the rocks and the wood.
It wont take but 30 minutesto get the 55G up if needed. I have a cycled filter on stand by at all times.

I know you have the situation under control, but why in the world do you have an empty 55? :)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds