What is this?

• robham7770
  • robham7770's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 created the topic: What is this?

My male Carpintis seems to have some sort of growth at the base of his right pectoral fin. It is pink in color and started on the inside, and now has moved to the outside of the fin. It seems to be growing rapidly, but is not affecting the fishes behavior. Here are a couple of pics, they are not the best, and I hope to get something better up soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: What is this?

Just found this pic on the net of lymphocystis, and it looks similar. I hope this is not what mine has, because it is a virus and therefore incurable. Does anyone know of other conditions that would have similar symtoms?

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: What is this?

Not something I have delt with. Should you isolate him?

All the FMs doing fine.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Tom, thanks for the update on the FM.

I really don't know what to do, since I am not sure what I am dealing with. If it is lymph then all fish that he has been exposed to should be considered carriers, which could include the FM is sent you(they were together for a short time months ago and should be fine). According to what I have read this can remain dormant for months, and some fish can carry the virus and never have symptoms. I am going to treat the tank with pimafix, and see what happens. I that does not work, i will try salt, and after that I will treat with parasite guard. If it is viral none of these will help, but I have to try something.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

The worst part of this, is that I may have to destroy all the fry. I don't think it would be responsible to pass them along to other owners and proliferate this problem, and I will not be able to breed the fish again. I will be stuck with the exposed fish(2x carpintis, 2x jd, 1x brasiliensis , and 1x sengalus), and have to house them together, which was not part of the plan.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: What is this?

I have nothing for ya Rob, but the "growing rapidly" is alarming. Havent seen Rock around for a bit, but I would try a pm anyways. Jason, Ken, Jack any of the experts. This appears to be a need to know quick situation.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: I have nothing for ya Rob, but the "growing rapidly" is alarming. Havent seen Rock around for a bit, but I would try a pm anyways. Jason, Ken, Jack any of the experts. This appears to be a need to know quick situation.

I wish rock was around, but since he is not, and no one else seems to have any ideas, it seems that I will just have to do the best I can. Here is a pic of the tank, I just did a 90% wc . I am going to add pimafix for a few days and see what happens. I plan on sticking to the pimafix for at least a week, and if no improvement is noted, I will try something else.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: What is this?

All I can add is that I have used Pimafix with excellent results, and mixed some Melafix when my ebjd got punched out and his wounds went fungal. I noticed an improvement in less than 24hrs and complete recovery in about a week. But, damn, you are not sure what you are dealing with. I just love your Carpis, pullin for ya big time.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Re: What is this?

I'm currently dealing with lymphocyst in my wild rams and my understanding is that it exists in all tanks but can only gain a foothold in stressed fish and as long as water quality is maintained and stressors are kept low it will work it's self out in 4 weeks. There's not much you can do besides keep up on wc's and from my reading remove the unaffected fish, it can only spread once the cyst ruptures

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Re: What is this?

The cysts on my fish are white cauliflower like growths so I'm not sure if this is lymphocysts, mine also started on the fins not the body like yours

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds