What is this?

• robham7770
  • robham7770's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Re: What is this?

I will offer more info on the disease, and how it works after I get the girls to sleep. Be back shortly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: What is this?

Apparently this virus is becoming more common in the fresh water aquarium fish trade, having traditionally been considered a marine fish issue. It can only establish itself in the host through some type of injury, or diminished immune system due to stress of poor water conditions. It is still considered somewhat rare, so I do not think it likely that many members will encounter it.

My understanding is that first you would have to have a fish with the virus, and then have conditions favorable for it to manifest, and then the virus must run its course in the host before it can infect other fish. The cycle is the formation of cysts, generally on the fins or around the base (my guess is that these areas are more frequently subject to injury). Once established the cysts grow quickly, and at some point rupture or drop off. This is when the virus is released into the tank and other fish become targets, especially if they have any injuries. It is recommended that other fish be removed from the tank in order to prevent exposure, but according to some of what I have read the virus has a number of variations which target specific fish species or those very closely related.

• smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 8

smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget replied the topic: What is this?

would this be akin to or variance of lymphocystosis? pleco specific.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget wrote: would this be akin to or variance of lymphocystosis? pleco specific.

Yes, I am talking about the same strain of virus, my understanding is that there are variants which can only infect specific species of fish. Have you had a run in with this, if so please tell me how you handled it. I had never even heard of this until last week.

• Thank you received: 5

kimmee replied the topic: What is this?

I also have this problem... strange that we are all experiencing this "rare" problem at once?

I had decided to just do alot of water changes and let it run it's course..

Maybe these pics are a little better, mine doesn't look really pink in person, more like white cauliflower,

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Wow Kimmee, I am sorry that you are facing this also. You might consider trying to QT your Carpintis, since you obviously have a big tank and it would be impractical to remove the other fish. Once those cysts rupture then the virus will be present in your water for at least a couple of months(one phd suggested that it can be dormant in sediment for years). I am still trying to figure out my plan. I have a 27 gal tub that would be a perfect QT tank, but I would not be able to monitor the situation. Let me know how it goes.

if I could do a makeshift qt in a rubbermaid tub... then I wait til it ruptures.. put the fish back in the main tank, have i avoided it spreading?

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

kimmee wrote: if I could do a makeshift qt in a rubbermaid tub... then I wait til it ruptures.. put the fish back in the main tank, have i avoided it spreading?

You got a Home Depot near you? Mine is not up right now(will be tonight I guess), but I got this there for $10. It is a 27 gallon hdx storage tub, it seems really strong(slight bowing when full), and has a lid. I figure that I can sterilize one filter and the tub much easier than a 75gal with decor and gravel. The only problem here is that it is suggested to reduce the stress load on the fish, which changing environments is not the best way to do that. Also It is recommended that the other fish be removed since the tank may already contain the virus, and after a couple of months sanitize the tank. I am going to remove the infected fish and leave him in the tub for at least 4 weeks before I even check to see if the cysts are gone.

Kimmee, I do want to stress that this is my first experience with this problem, and I can not claim that my suggestions will have the desired effect, but from what I have read over the last 48hrs it is best not to keep an infected fish with the others.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Crap! Kicked on the lights tonight after setting up the tub, and now she has it.He is in the tub, 2nd batch of fry are separated, fourth batch are with her. What to do? Thinking I should divide the original tank, remove the fry and put them into the tub. My understanding is the fry should be clean, but that is a leap of faith.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds