What is this?

• Thank you received: 5

kimmee replied the topic: What is this?

It's not supposed to be fatal...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• robham7770
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: What is this?

kimmee wrote: It's not supposed to be fatal...

No Kimmee, it should not be fatal unless the location of the cysts impact the fishes ability to eat of breathe. The danger is that while the fish is dealing with the active virus it can easily contract other illnesses due to a compromised immune system. I think clean water is the only solution for successfully dealing with this.

What else is in the tank with your fish?

Here is a pretty comprehensive article written by Dr. Adrien Lawler.

www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Lawler_Lymphocystis.html

• smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 8

smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget replied the topic: What is this?

my Pleco had it on his inner mouth, there is no cure, clean water, good diet, low stress and time. took around 3 to 4 months to shrug it off. not a good thing it has jumped species if that's what it is, and sure looks like it.

• robham7770
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget wrote: my Pleco had it on his inner mouth, there is no cure, clean water, good diet, low stress and time. took around 3 to 4 months to shrug it off. not a good thing it has jumped species if that's what it is, and sure looks like it.

According to the article, there are many variations of the virus. Each is adapted to a particular species, and can only infect another fish closely related. I.e. the variant that gave your pleco problems could not infect your oscar, but might be able to infect any species of pleco. Once you get beyond the genus hierarchy, I think you are in the clear. I.e. whatever strain I have could infect any Herichthys cichlid, but probably not an Astronotus ocellatus.

• User is blocked
  • User is blocked

well that explanes why none of the other fish in the tank has gotten it. Thanks Robham7770.

• robham7770
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget wrote: well that explanes why none of the other fish in the tank has gotten it. Thanks Robham7770.

Not a problem, I really wish I did not know that. :pinch:

So since my other fish are Oscars and Silver Dollars and the Pleco then they are safe.. I have been doing water changes every other day. I got some Melafix today I thought it couldn't hurt.... I dosed with that tonight. I think I am just going to wait it out...thanks for the article, It was interesting and he said basically, it's a virus there is no cure it has to run it's course....

• User is blocked
  • User is blocked

i would say yes, but knowing how viruses mutate and jump, just as the flue virus from pigs to people, bird flue same. monkey HIV or Ebola to people will always leave a question in my mind.

but i could trip in the shower and kill myself. The odds say no so i am not going to worry about it. Pleco is fine, all fish in tank fine, down the road with large mass breading that may change.

• robham7770
  • Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

kimmee wrote: So since my other fish are Oscars and Silver Dollars and the Pleco then they are safe.. I have been doing water changes every other day. I got some Melafix today I thought it couldn't hurt.... I dosed with that tonight. I think I am just going to wait it out...thanks for the article, It was interesting and he said basically, it's a virus there is no cure it has to run it's course....

Kimmee,

If I were in your shoes, I would do the same thing.My focus has been on how to keep the fry clean. i really think the second batch should be fine, but the ones in the breeding tank have definitely had some exposure. I am still debating on whether or not to destroy them.

I have no idea... let me know what you decide... I am sorry for you this must really hard on you deciding the lives of fry... I can not imagine!
The following user(s) said Thank You: robham7770

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 2.327 seconds