What is this?

• robham7770
  • robham7770's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: What is this?

kimmee wrote: I have no idea... let me know what you decide... I am sorry for you this must really hard on you deciding the lives of fry... I can not imagine!

Kimmee, it is very difficult, and I have not come to any decision at this point. My plan was to trade or sell the fry, mainly as a means to get more carpintis and develop a breeding program. At this point that does not seem likely, so I am not sure how to proceed. Thank you for your concern.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: What is this?

I know it is hard, but unless you can say for sure the fry are clean you cannot distribute them. If you keep them you will have many tanks of fish that eat and cost but can never be distributed . And fry would also be unclean so a dead end there. A hard choice but the fry need to be eliminated if you cannot guarantee a healthy outcome. I would not even use them as feeders as the eater would be exposed. The problem gets harder as time passes and they grow. I would cull them at once. Sorry.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

bassetman wrote: I know it is hard, but unless you can say for sure the fry are clean you cannot distribute them. If you keep them you will have many tanks of fish that eat and cost but can never be distributed . And fry would also be unclean so a dead end there. A hard choice but the fry need to be eliminated if you cannot guarantee a healthy outcome. I would not even use them as feeders as the eater would be exposed. The problem gets harder as time passes and they grow. I would cull them at once. Sorry.

I pretty much knew this to be true, but just needed some one else to affirm it. Would you include the previous batch which have been isolated from the parents long before the problem manifested? I am guessing clove oil is the best way to do the deed, but have never euthanized any fish much less a 100.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Sadly I would cull all you have. You can never be sure they are clean. You do not want to send the issue down the road to a hundred other keepers. Clove oil or super cooled brine, with dry ice are effective.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Thanks Tom, would you also put down the parents? i don't want to, but I also don't want deal with possibility of thus virus reoccurring in other tanks, because I used the wrong siphon or net.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Tough call, you could keep isolated but as you say one mistake and it could spread. You can never call them cured, they may not show but will carry always. This is the cold face of the breeding side of the hobby. The fish must be known to be safe and healthy. You can not guarantee this. Cattle breeders occasionally have to put down whole herds. Chicken farmers, whole flocks can be put down because of a few sick birds. Less principled breeders would move the fish to buyers ensuring that someone has a bad experience with the fish. They cannot be sold. They can be kept in qt but accidents will happen. What to do? Weigh your future plans and your integrity. Do what must be done. :(

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds