Nandopsis Beani

• Darth Nandopsis
  • Darth Nandopsis's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis created the topic: Nandopsis Beani

As some of you may know, I have a baby male Nandopsis Beani, courtesy of my bud, Ed Hall. Rare, beautiful, ill-tempered CA cichlid. Right up my alley..... :evil: He is about 2 & 1/2" , never hid, was always out front. & was eating like a champ from day one....until recently....came down one day & he had long, stringy, white feces, & just mouthed food & spit it out....this degenerated quickly to simply not eating & no interest @ all in any food offered.....that was about 9 days or so ago.....contacted a few of the good members of this site who I knew would have experience w/ this crap & sought their counsel.....as I honestly have not had a fish get sick in forever (& I'm not saying that to toot my own horn, just do a crapload of maintenance & have been @ this a long time).....not bloat, as he wasn't bloated, but definitely some intestinal bug....treated w/ Tetra Parasite Guard, Epsom salts, LOTS of partial WC, added an internal filter & & powerhead as I read that they appreciate strong current....this treatment has gone on for over a week......Tetra PG every 48 hrs & Epsom salts 1 TBS per 10 GLS every 2 days, & then every day for the last 3 days @ that dosage...& today....NO MORE string poop...AND.....I marinated some FD krill in Boyd's VitaChem.......chopped it up so it was easy to eat....dropped in the outflow of the internal filter.....& HE ATE IT LIKE A CHAMP!!!!! Tomorrow, I will stop by the bait store & get some earthworms, chop them up, & give him some small pieces...just want to get his strength back up slowly.

I would like to thank my buds who gave me the advice I needed to whup this shit....I appreciate you guys taking time to help & hooking me up....this is a RARE fish where I live & I WAS NOT going to lose him....I raised & bred Discus, & like JR told me, Discus are child's play compared to raising a N. Beani to adulthood.....He wasn't kidding!!!....I had T. Duboisi's that were easier than this guy.....but that's what a challenge is about, right?? B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Nandopsis Beani

Well , I wasnt aware you had a sick one , and wouldnt have been of help there anyways...BUT...
I am glad he is doing better Jack. Good luck for the rest of his recovery. :)

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Nandopsis Beani

nice!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darth Nandopsis

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Nandopsis Beani

Outstanding Jack, good job. The Dark Side wins again..... til Sunday!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Nandopsis Beani

Nice Job!

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Nandopsis Beani

Glad you are having success treating the problem. I am very interested in the use of epsom salts to treat the tank. I have seen here and elsewhere to treat the food with it but, not many recommendations of actually treating the tank with it.

I have tried the epsom soaked food in the past, which the fish never ate and have tried the PG, but have never tried the combination treatment with the salt in the water. Next time I have a fish that rejects food I will refer back to this thread, and hopefully have better results. Thanks for the post.

• smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 8

smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget replied the topic: Nandopsis Beani

got to love a happy ending, is this treatment posted in an article? if so i have not seen here or any of other sites I visit, and i hang out at a few. as i see you are a admin might be something worth adding to the library.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Re: Nandopsis Beani

I just got the email today letting me know about your pm, I pmed you back anyways but I'm happy to hear he's doing better and eating again

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Re:Re: Nandopsis Beani

a perfect example that you are never too old to learn new stuff (not that you're old) but even after so many years in the trade there are always things you don't know yet. and not being stubborn about the way you keep fish is one of the most important aspects to save them.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

• Darth Nandopsis
  • Darth Nandopsis's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Nandopsis Beani

Hell yeah, G.....I've never owned a N. Beani, & they apparently are every bit as touchy as touted......I know JR has a Black Nasty, which is also prone to this crap, & know Rock knew about the epsom salt treatment, & I PM'd a few others that I figured would know what to do(like T, Dave, & BK)....I went in to "panic mode", as this is indeed a rare fish, & I wanted to absorb all the knowledge I could on how to deal w/ this.....there are a LOT of opinions on the 'net on this topic, but the only ones that matter to me are the ones I can find here...absolutely the best cichlid site on the web.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds