Jack dempsey telling male from females

• northernga1
  • northernga1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

northernga1 created the topic: Jack dempsey telling male from females

I'm new to the forums and i'm interested in finding out how to tell the difference from a male and female. I have 2 Jack dempseys i've had since December last year and recently they appear to be doing some breeding behaviours and i'm wondering if i have a male / female pair.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Jack dempsey telling male from females

I believe that males are slightly bigger and more colourful than the female.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Jack dempsey telling male from females

Males will get bigger of course, but will have more blue scales on body w/ more intense coloration, & will have less in the cheek & throat area; males will also have longer & more pointed dorsal & anal fins.

Male:

Females will be smaller, have much less blue scales in the body, more rounded dorsal & anal fins,but more blue coloration in the cheek & throat area.

Female:

Your top photo is definitely a male, & the bottom one appears to be female, but unsure from this pic. Shoot me a video & I can tell you for sure.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 8

smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget replied the topic: Jack dempsey telling male from females

what darth said. my males have long pointed dorsal and ventral streamers, females are a rounded, no long pointed tailing edge.

• northernga1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

northernga1 replied the topic: Jack dempsey telling male from females

i have noticed the blue one which is in my second picture & the one i believe is a female going upside down in the center cave decoration like she is about to lay eggs. i have breeding pair of convicts and i have noticed similar breeding symptoms in the female jack dempsey. What type of video do you want me to make? i can do one with my phone tomorrow. i just looked over she is in the cave & my convicts will have eggs in the clay pot by tomorrow morning LOL. Did i mention my female oscar is about to lay eggs too (pretty sure oscar is female been trying to take a pic all day but wont face me close enough to get the area i need. she been cleaning a slate for a few days and twitching & chasing off all fish in the tank. i purchased a much larger clay pot today and i am going to put in once my convicts lay their eggs tonight (dont want them changing to the larger pot LOL) just in case so the jack dempseys can fit into this one. The oscar, and jack dempsey were bought at the same time at the same pet store in december last year

more clear photo of the suspected female

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

OK, the 2nd photo you supplied is the suspected female....this one is clearly a male.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• northernga1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

would a male swim upside down like its about to lay eggs? at what age is best to tell the sex of the fish? they are not quite a year and still a bit smaller then the oscar who is approx 8 inch. I would say approx 4-5 inch for the light color JD and 6-7 for the blue JD. The last month or two i have noticed them not growing in length but more so growing in width.

is it possible to have both if the are both males in the tank as they get old? they appear to get alone fine in the tank no apparent cuts or scrapes on either fish and definetly no lip locking. What is in the tank is not per say what we will keep. I have 3 tanks and once my tiny new lutino grows large enough it will go into the main 90 gallon tank and we might remove the breeding convicts and catfish so there is more room in the tank as they all get bigger.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

northernga1 wrote: would a male swim upside down like its about to lay eggs? at what age is best to tell the sex of the fish? they are not quite a year and still a bit smaller then the oscar who is approx 8 inch. I would say approx 4-5 inch for the light color JD and 6-7 for the blue JD. The last month or two i have noticed them not growing in length but more so growing in width.

is it possible to have both if the are both males in the tank as they get old? they appear to get alone fine in the tank no apparent cuts or scrapes on either fish and definetly no lip locking. What is in the tank is not per say what we will keep. I have 3 tanks and once my tiny new lutino grows large enough it will go into the main 90 gallon tank and we might remove the breeding convicts and catfish so there is more room in the tank as they all get bigger.

If the male was fertilizing eggs, yes. I can tell you that latest photo of the JD you supplied is a male, absolutely 100%, no doubt, no question, bank on it.

Please supply a stocking list of what fish you have in what size tank. A video downloaded to YT can easily be uploaded to OFL.

A 90GL aquarium would not support an Oscar & a breeding pair of JD's, the Oscar would get shredded....even if they didn't breed, that male JD will eventually claim that tank as his own. When dealing w/ cichlids, 90 gls of water is a drop in the bucket.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Jack dempsey telling male from females

Hi and welcome to OFL ..

joining into the convo, i believe the second picture is a female, if you can get a better body shot will help greatly ...or a video

• northernga1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

took some better pictures of both lets see if we can figure this out LOL

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds