Jack dempsey telling male from females

• northernga1
  • northernga1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

northernga1 replied the topic: Jack dempsey telling male from females

The intention was not to have a breeding pair on jack dempseys in the tank. We only put the convicts in for free food for the oscar so far we have not had any issues with them.
Intention is to eventually have 2 oscars & 2 jack dempsey, remove the convicts into their own tank and also the catfish. Never an intention to have breeding pairs of either oscar or jack dempsey. Trying to eliminate the possibility sooner if we can tell the sex of the jack dempseys.
90 gallon with 1 oscar, 2 jack dempsey, breeding convicts, 1 pleco, 1 feather fin catfish, 2 filters a Rena Xp and an aqua clear. We have 3 tanks 90 gallon, 100 gallon, 36 bow front and we will rearrange as needed as they get older if we end up with pairs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 8

smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget replied the topic: Jack dempsey telling male from females

first 2 pics female, second 2 pics male.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Jack dempsey telling male from females

I am glad Jack mentioned something about all those fish laying eggs and the tank really not being big enough. There will be a fair amount of aggression. I would hate for those fish to get hurt or killed.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Jack dempsey telling male from females

"first 2 pics female, second 2 pics male"

Yup, & a very nicely colored male JD @ that.

That stocking level you state, if intended for a 90GL aquarium, will not work short or long-term, regardless of current size of fish or filtration. Beyond bio-load issues, territoriality will pop up sooner rather than later. I would not go much beyond an Oscar & a JD, even that is pushing it & you would have to keep a close eye on them. SA/CA cichlids are genetically "programmed" to defend a certain size territory (ESPECIALLY CA cichlids!!) & this will become VERY evident the closer these fish are to maturity.

If you want tio become successful keeping large cichlids, I would recommend you obtain this book:

"The Cichlid Aquarium" by Dr. P.V. Loiselle.

I consider this book to be an essential part of any cichlid keepers "arsenal" & have recommended it to quite a few people.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Jack dempsey telling male from females

from the last post i believe the top 2 pics are female and bottom 2 are male.

females have more spangles aound their gills (although my female does not. its the same as the male) and males are more colorful
there arnt many more spangles on the top pic in the gill area, but they are there.

colors really dont develop for a bit..... i had a breeding pair and i kept a few babies.... the one i suspected to be male really became much more colorful recently.....now i have no doubt that that one is male.

• northernga1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Took the breeding convicts out of the 90 gallon tank and put them in the 100 gallon in the basement two days ago. And likely will soon move the feather fin catfish in with the lutino baby oscar. Our intention was never to have anything breeding in the tank other then the convicts we just removed. There is just the oscar and 2 jack dempseys and pleco / catfish left now in the 90 Gallon. I will keep an eye on things and remove and regroup the tanks as needed. If i have to re home a fish or 2 i will. In my introduction i stated i did 70% water changes weekly as needed. some weeks i do more some times not, my tanks are always done i do not leave things go, i have had friends comment on how clean my tanks are all the time and wonder how i keep up with things. I wanted to mention that the oscar and jack dempseys were put into the tank together as little babies last december and have been in the tank for almost a year together there has been no aggression in the tank unless you look at the pleco / catfish they chase each other every evening LOL. Not saying as they all mature the next few months things might change just that i'm aware that things might not work out and we might have to re organize things.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

" I wanted to mention that the oscar and jack dempseys were put into the tank together as little babies last december and have been in the tank for almost a year together there has been no aggression in the tank"

I did read your full post & am happy to hear that you will rearrange things as necessary, just realize that simply because fish were raised together in no way shape or form means that they will get along down the line......especially cichlids, CA cichlids like JD's in particular. People make that statement all the time, their cichlids co-exist for a while, & then WHAMMO, the "Kill Switch" goes off, & you have a dominant fish & all the other fish are up in the corners w/ shredded fins. As 90GLS in insufficient both territorially & bio-load wise for that stocking level, you will have to monitor very closely & re-home sooner rather than later.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Jack dempsey telling male from females

Darth Nandopsis wrote: " I wanted to mention that the oscar and jack dempseys were put into the tank together as little babies last december and have been in the tank for almost a year together there has been no aggression in the tank"

I did read your full post & am happy to hear that you will rearrange things as necessary, just realize that simply because fish were raised together in no way shape or form means that they will get along down the line......especially cichlids, CA cichlids like JD's in particular. People make that statement all the time, their cichlids co-exist for a while, & then WHAMMO, the "Kill Switch" goes off, & you have a dominant fish & all the other fish are up in the corners w/ shredded fins. As 90GLS in insufficient both territorially & bio-load wise for that stocking level, you will have to monitor very closely & re-home sooner rather than later.

this is exactly what happened to me with the male of the babies i currently have.

the male was with 2 oscars in a 150 for 5+ years without issues. then the jd flipped that switch and wanted the tank to itself. in the end, he had the tank to himself and only allowed a female jd that he liked as a tank mate.

• northernga1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

we moved fish around and rehomed some, the 100 gallon in the basement has the jack dempsey pair and my upstairs 90 gallon has the oscar. Just wanted to post an updated picture of my jack dempseys since moving them the female is finally showing some signs of maturing. Apologise for the crappy quality of the photo the basement tank is pretty scratched up. Added a canister so the 100 gallon has 1 canister, and 2 hang on the back filters running. Now my dilema is which i want to keep upstairs. Still considering my options i know eventually the jack dempseys will breed but i am really liking how they look and how they are pairing up. Do i want the jack dempseys upstairs in the living room or the oscar LOL. There is no way i have room for both tanks and i am not positive my floors can support both tanks in the same room (and i dont have the space for the 2nd tank anys lol)

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

I would recommend you not move the JD's....my experience w/ JD's has been that they absolutely do not appreciate being moved (or even have their tank decor moved around), as this will "freak" them out, for lack of a better term, & they will become skittish & hide when you approach the tank, & some never get over this. Happened to me several times over the years, as well as to some members of this site, so it can't just be coincidence.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds