Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

• beeayoutifullove
  • beeayoutifullove's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

beeayoutifullove created the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

Sorry if this question has been asked or if the answer is obvious - the idea is new to me. So I have (what I think) is an absolutely gorgeous female Jack Dempsey. I think she may have a drop of Electric Blue in her line or something, because her blues are so vivid. Feel free to comment on that one!

As my question states, is it possible to introduce an adult male to an adult female for breeding purposes? After a little research, it seems highly suggested that they are paired as fry and based on previous experience, she isn't like to be welcoming to a newcomer. She's about 5", maybe 6", though it's hard to get an accurate measurement. I've had her about a year and she's maybe grown an inch since I've gotten her if that. As far as temperament, she's probably your typical JD. Pretty feisty, prone to throwing temper tantrums, and had to be removed from a tank with my Oscar because she's a bully and is now flyin' solo in her own tank.

I wouldn't want to knowingly put either her or a new male in danger of one another, but would really love to try my hand at breeding especially due to her coloration.

While we're on the note, would the same go for Oscars?

Here are some photos:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

That is indeed a gorgeous fish, put per your other thread, what size tank is it in? And as for Oscars, you need a minimum 6ft 125g tank to properly keep 2 Oscars

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 40

ehh replied the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

She is pretty. I would try to introduce them through a divider first. I'm sure it can work out.

• beeayoutifullove
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

beeayoutifullove replied the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

She's currently in a 50 gallon. If I went through with this there would definitely be an upgrade in the works!

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

i would use the divider to intro the two .... again .. it's going to be a hit or miss ... plus a bigger tank wouldn't hurt .........

Suprd71 replied the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

Yes, you would need a tank double what you have. That said, mixing cichlids is always a coin toss as to success, even same species, opposite sex. You wont really know till you try. Your fish is not full grown though, and may not be sexually mature yet either. I have a male over 2yrs old and he is still growing, slowly but surely.

• beeayoutifullove
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

beeayoutifullove replied the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

Suprd71 wrote: Yes, you would need a tank double what you have. That said, mixing cichlids is always a coin toss as to success, even same species, opposite sex. You wont really know till you try. Your fish is not full grown though, and may not be sexually mature yet either. I have a male over 2yrs old and he is still growing, slowly but surely.

Wow I didn't know this! When I got her a year ago she was pretty close to the same size she is now so I just assumed she was nearly full grown.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

i have a JD mixed with my O and she's been around 6 inches for the past 1yr 1/2 ... they grow slowly...

Females are smaller, but should still reach a good 7ins or better. As with all cichlids, water quality and diet are key to healthy growth. What and how often do you feed, and do you do adequate water changes? JD is a slow grower, I have another male, close to a year old, and he is not quite 5ins, probably closer to 4.5.

• beeayoutifullove
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: Females are smaller, but should still reach a good 7ins or better. As with all cichlids, water quality and diet are key to healthy growth. What and how often do you feed, and do you do adequate water changes? JD is a slow grower, I have another male, close to a year old, and he is not quite 5ins, probably closer to 4.5.

She's fed daily and is very clear about when she is hungry and when she is done, ha! She gets Hikari pellets and I'm thinking about adding crickets to their diets. I generally do 20% water changes bi-weekly.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds