Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

Your water changes are severely lacking. You should be doing a minimum 50% weekly change, using a quality conditioner like Seachem Prime with each change. You should also be doing a thorough gravel vac with each change, as you feed your fish daily, your substrate is holding a lot of crap. You cant change enough water in a cichlid tank, as they are messy fish. Clean water is key to their longevity and overall health. Honestly, if I had your fish I would change the entire tank volume over the course of not more than 10 days. This also applies to your Oscar tank, even more so, as it is a bigger, messier fish.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• beeayoutifullove
  • beeayoutifullove's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

beeayoutifullove replied the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

I didn't mention I do gravel vac and use conditioner. I will definitely do this more frequently! I always thought that taking that much so often would upset the balance in the tank, though.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

You could do daily large water changes with no harm, nothing but benefit. Increase your sched dramatically and you will notice a difference.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

Also, based on those photos, I see a male JD....too many blue "spangles" on the sides, dorsal & anal fin come to points.....I know this fish has blue in the throat/cheek area, which is normally an indicator of female, but this is what I like to call a "super-colored" male.....femal;es would be less blue, & the throat area would be a more solid blue.....my last pair of JD's I had my male looked exactly like this fish.

As SD71 stated, you should step up that WC schedule.....50GL is less than what I consider bare minimum for a JD(75 is what I would recommend for one, no less that a 125 for a pair)......& let's remember, that 50GLS is rated when the tank is bare of any gravel, decorations,etc,....so you may really only have 40GLS plus/minus in that aquarium....that, in conjunction w/ a lack of WC's(both in size & schedule) may be why your fish isn't as big as hoped....fish leave a growth inhibiting hormone in the water when the urinate, the only way to dilute this is frequent massive partial WC's. (The more often you change your water, the bigger the fish).

If you want to introduce a female, I would use the "incomplete divider" method, so the female can escape the male if things go badly @ 1st....

What filtration do you have on this tank, exactly?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

im going with darth that its a male as well. although it has the spangles around its gills and thats usually a good indicator that it is female(my female had no spangles around the gill area).... the color is very much male. i have NEVER seen such a colorful female. im basing my guess on solely the color. sometimes its hard to tell, but i would personally say that is a male.

as far as introducing another jd goes..... its more then possible.... but id try to get one about the same size. when my male and female were finally put together the male was about 12'' and the female was about 6'' the male (oscar destroyer) was very aggressive towards the female, but she always found a safe cave that he couldnt fit into. jacks are super smart when they cant win a fight and unlike oscars, they will take cover when they have to. nearly a year went by and one day i found them swimming together and i knew i had eggs coming.

• beeayoutifullove
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

beeayoutifullove replied the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

Suprd71 wrote: You could do daily large water changes with no harm, nothing but benefit. Increase your sched dramatically and you will notice a difference.

I'll definitely start doing larger weekly changes, thanks for the advice!

• beeayoutifullove
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Also, based on those photos, I see a male JD....too many blue "spangles" on the sides, dorsal & anal fin come to points....

Well, I'll be darned! I had a name picked out for a future mate and everything ha. I had actually posted this fish to a different forum when I first brought him/her? home and everyone determined female. It would explain the coloring, though!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Is it possible to introduce full grown Jack Dempseys?

You want to sex a CA cichlid, contact me.....not to toot my own horn, but TOOT TOOT!! :laugh:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds