Honduran Red Point fry vid

• jmunroe
  • jmunroe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 195

jmunroe created the topic: Honduran Red Point fry vid

Got some wigglers a few weeks ago from my neighbour who keeps and breeds cichlids. He has 2 tanks of Hondurans so I've been waiting for awhile now to get some. Had my juvi oscar in quarantine in the tank that I had planned for them. His fry get eaten pretty quick so I took around 10 or so of the wigglers and ended up with 4 that made it. So far so healthy.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Honduran Red Point fry vid

did a google search form them and came up some what convict looking fish .... any shot of the parents?

• jmunroe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Honduran Red Point fry vid

They are like a convict but different. More of a blue sheen, broken bars, with red in the fins. He said he had some nice pics to send me of the male when there was another male in with him competing for the female and the colours were really nice but haven't seen them yet. The biggest difference between them and convicts is the red points are very passive and not aggressive like cons at all. They breed just as much but have far fewer fry.. only around 30-40 where as cons will have hundreds. Other than what he has told me, and my research online it's all new to me. I believe these fry are from the F1 parents he had shipped in.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:Honduran Red Point fry vid

i think they look better than con's ... or maybe i see them too often ... haven't seen any of them in my LFS ...... maybe a breeding program is needed........

• jmunroe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Yeah I think they look better too. I like the look of cons but the colours of the red points better. They have a slight difference in the head shape and look a bit longer and not as stout. They don't have as many fry to be dealing with all the time is nice as well, which is the reason you don't see them in the stores as much. Only a handful surviving each spawn instead of dozens. My fry will be ate by other fish, gave away to people that want them or credit for food and such at the LFS. They are a nice alternative to cons since you can put them in with other fish without them killing everything.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Honduran Red Point fry vid

Nice pick up, here is an image of some adults for those of us not familiar with the species. Great video btw.

• Thank you received: 60

MetalHead88 replied the topic: Re:Honduran Red Point fry vid

cool. might be a fish id be interested in for the future.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Honduran Red Point fry vid

Yup, I want some too......I have a 30GL w/ their name on it!! You ever get fry down the line, PM me. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• jmunroe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

My plan is to hopefully separate the female/s for a bit once I can sex them to allow the females to grow a bit before getting stunted from breeding. Then once they start, they breed all the time like cons. How old would the fry need to be to ship? I'm thinking a couple months old. So it would be probably be close to a year before I had any ready to go. I'll keep you posted on them, but who ever wants some is more than welcome to them.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Honduran Red Point fry vid

Yeah, they should be @ least 2" long, & shipments should be done in warm weather.

Let me know, I am interested.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds