New Fish.

• robham7770
  • robham7770's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: New Fish.

Update on the Dovii.

He is still pretty shy when I am around, but I have seen him on several occasions swimming up and down and being very active. He loves water changes and gets very active even when the water level is touching his back. I am having a hard time getting this fish to eat, he will eat a few pellets, and then ignore the rest. He has also gotten meal worms, earth worms, crickets, beef heart and talapia. He ate some of all these foods, but never seemed very keen on any of them. I suspect he may have been raised on feeders, which is out of the question for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: New Fish.

NICE!! Been waitin on that.. thx Rob.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: New Fish.

Dovii are an awesome fish, & he looks like he got a lot of green in him.......any thoughts on getting him a bigger tank? That may be why he is tentative on eating....the one I had (Sauron, RIP) ate anything I threw his way...... B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

He's got a 125 coming soon, week or 2.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: New Fish.

Great looking Dovi, How big is now?

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

The fish is probably about 9.5 (still a baby).

Jack,

I am going to get him a 72x18x22 from the lfs for$376 since I can not find anything used for a better price, but I do think he will be much happier in a larger tank. Since the foot print on the 125 is only 18" wide I will have to get something larger later(I still plan on an indoor pond). I love this fish and he has awesome color.My wife swears that every time she is out in the garage he is swimming and happy, and thinks its funny he hides when I am out there. He also gets aggressive when my Dachshunds go near the tank (it is 4" off the floor). I love the name Sauron for a fish like this, maybe I will call mine Smaug, or I might see if I can find a good name in the Silmarillian.

Could I get away with an 7to 8 inch Squeeker (Synodontis eupterus), as a tank mate in a 125 until the Dovii gets bigger?

Big Dovii fan Rob, never had, but sure want one. Done extensive reading on them and most common thread with them is that they will accept NO tankmates in all but the most massive of tanks. A certain point, where your guy may be now where the kill switch goes off and everything else must, and does generally die. Cool, huh?

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: Big Dovii fan Rob, never had, but sure want one. Done extensive reading on them and most common thread with them is that they will accept NO tankmates in all but the most massive of tanks. A certain point, where your guy may be now where the kill switch goes off and everything else must, and does generally die. Cool, huh?

That was my assumption, the Dovii is about the same size as my veil Oscar and I am sure the O wouldn't last a day with this fish. I was just hoping that it might work, the cat is in with my albino Oscar who has very poor vision, and is hogging all the food. The featherfin has actually outpaced the Oscar in growth. Once I move the Dovii to a bigger tank then how does Salvini/Squeeker combo sound in a 55?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: New Fish.

"or I might see if I can find a good name in the Silmarillian."

Morgoth. :evil: One of The Valar, Maker of Trolls, Balrogs, & Orcs. Sauron's "boss" & the ultimate evil in Arda until the other Valar caught up w/ him during The War of Wrath & threw him into The Void.

Yeah, Dovii are a true piscivore, & will consider any & all tankmates as food or a threat to that food........according to GuapoteMel, who has a pair that is a 30"+ male w/ his 24" female, they will systematically eliminate all other tankmates.

Salvini's are nasty fish in their own right, so I wouldn't recommend. It may work out, & then again....... :evil:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Darth Nandopsis wrote: "or I might see if I can find a good name in the Silmarillian."

Morgoth. :evil: One of The Valar, Maker of Trolls, Balrogs, & Orcs. Sauron's "boss" & the ultimate evil in Arda until the other Valar caught up w/ him during The War of Wrath & threw him into The Void.

Morgoth it is, thanks Jack! I only read the Silmarillion once and could not remember the players.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds