Nics mature enough??

• Suprd71
  • Suprd71's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 created the topic: Nics mature enough??

Wondering if my Nicaraguans are old enough to be breeding. Asking because just did a w/c and vac on their tank, and I picked up a lot of what looked like little white eggs. Some surrounded with a cocoon like fuzz. Got the fish early July at about 3ins, currently about 5ish. Have small Oscar and medium Sev with them, and other than a little territory stand off upon intro(last week) everyone is very mild mannered. Picked these egg looking things right off the gravel out in the open, which is how they lay, from what I have read. And if they have indeed bred, how prolific are they? Can I expect more anytime soon?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Nics mature enough??

May have been one of the other fish getting rid of eggs......they are usually cave spawners, & I think they may be a bit small......are their colors more intense? Shoot me a pic or 3 or better yet a video.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Suprd71

Suprd71 replied the topic: Nics mature enough??

ok Jack, I thought they were small/young. Oscar too young, but the Sev maybe I suppose. However, their colors are really out, partic the male. He was always drab compared to the female, but now they look darn near the same. They have cleared a spot in the cave down to the glass, but the spot I scooped the maybe eggs from is guarded by the female, she dont mind the Sev or O passing by, but will not let the male within about a foot any direction. Have not seen this behavior from them before, and they are just glowing. Damn nice looking fish, really! I'll try to get a decent pic, this waiting 2hrs for YT to upload a 2min vid is beyond my patience.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

2 hrs? What are you using to take videos? Mine upload in about 5 mins tops off my sons I-Pad Mini....

But if the colors are out, it may be them.....keep us posted. B) B)

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Suprd71

Well, I just watched them for a spell, looking for some good pics. The female is no longer guarding the spot, maybe realizes the eggs are gone? Hell, I dunno. They are very colorful though, but maybe that just comes with aging/growing? Very much on the learning curve with these 2. They will be on their own again in a couple months, the O and Sev cant stay there too long. More tankage in the future I think! Now have 3 Sevs, I think a big Sev tank would be real nice. Gonna do a shuffle after Xmas. Gonna take another stab at a CA mix. Want to try the Witch with the Midevil and my biggest JD. Jag is out of the mix, he would grind them all to pulp.. now getting close to a foot long!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

I'm thinking they may be in post-spawn, especially if their colors are more vibrant than usual, & definitely if they are hanging out together all the time.....do a few cooler-temp WC's & feed some earthworms, that may trigger another spawn.

I don't think the Witch will brook any tankmates, ever. That sucker's got Festae & Texas in it.....& that doesn't bode well for any other fish, especially considering she's been owner of that tank for a while.

• Suprd71

Darth Nandopsis wrote: I'm thinking they may be in post-spawn, especially if their colors are more vibrant than usual, & definitely if they are hanging out together all the time.....do a few cooler-temp WC's & feed some earthworms, that may trigger another spawn.

I don't think the Witch will brook any tankmates, ever. That sucker's got Festae & Texas in it.....& that doesn't bode well for any other fish, especially considering she's been owner of that tank for a while.

LOL, yep, she's a full on psycho, no doubt. Wouldnt be "her" tank, I would intro all fish into a fresh environment. JD is just as big and Midevil aint much smaller. Putting money on it though I would bet failure. I always wanted a big, really cool mixed CA tank, I have cool CA's, but they aint the socializin type!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

How big of a tank is she in?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds